6: Repast

Katie

I couldn't stop scolding myself for how stupid I'd acted. Six years and yet all the emotions that spurred within me made it feel like everything happened weeks ago. I couldn't believe it and of course coming back here, I never doubted that I'd still be attracted to William, but certainly not in this manner.

       I headed back to the pastry shop, hoping I didn't look as disheveled as I felt. Mom and dad were in the same spot, empty plates now in front of them.

       She frowned when she saw me. "Where did you go?" She immediately asked as I approached.

         "For a walk," I bit out.

           She sighed. "Look I'm sorry we kinda ambushed you about William, but –"

      "Katie?" A voice intervened. "Katie Palmer?"

        I turned around, my lips parting in shock when I saw one of my classmates from high school. We did labs together mostly, but like everyone else, she preferred to be in the company of the popular kids – or at least had tried to be.

       "Cassie, hey!" I exclaimed, my brows perking up when she walked into my arms for a hug.

        "Damn, how long has it been?" She said as she broke the hug, her hazel eyes roaming my frame with her smile still on her face.

       I smiled tightly. "Too long. You look great though," I said, admiring her hair that she now bleached blonde. She looked like the type of people she always wanted to become in school.

       "You too girl." She cleared her throat and straightened a little. "So are you like back in town for good or just visiting."

      "Oh just visiting. I actually came for my great grandmother's funeral."

     She made a pitiful face. "Ah, tragic, but we should definitely meet up to have lunch before you leave. I'd love to catch up – hear about the big city."

      I rubbed the nape of my neck, unsure of what to say. Did I really need people in my business? Cassie was always the type to prod.

       I forced a smile. "Sure," a said.

       Cassie jumped a little on her feet. "Great, well  we can exchange numbers and plan a little date or something," she chirped, handing me her phone.

       I held my smile as I handed her my phone for her to do the same. When we were finished she beamed, staring at me.

       "Well I'll see you," she waved before she pattered to the counter to take her order and headed out.

        I sighed heavily before I turned to my parents. One other thing to try and keep up with.

***

The next day, we all got dressed and headed to the church. Gran always spoke about wanting an intimate burial even long before she'd been in the state she was in. Aunt Cecilia and my dad made sure they honored that and so it was just us, a few of her friends from the church and some others I didn't recognize.

          Though it was a sad occasion, everything was well organized and was done in only a short space of time. Saddened, we all went back to Aunt Cecilia's for the repast. Of course mom kept a conversation going, introducing and reintroducing herself to everyone that was there and creating small talk.

         I sat in a far corner by the window with a glass of champagne in my hand, watching as everyone mingled with each other and tried to lighten the situation.