1: Home?

Katie

I sighed heavily as I stepped out of the airport and looked around the sunny area for my ride. I squinted my eyes in an attempt to see better and brushed a few loose tendrils of hair from my face.
There was no sign of my ride which made me regret not taking my mom's advice and have my aunt pick me up instead. I just figured that she'd be busy with her bakery and would prefer not to disturb her.

        I glanced at the watch on my wrist, realizing that it was just minutes after 1pm but already my patience was wearing thin. I scanned the license plate of the cars I could see and pulled my suitcase behind me as I went looking further ahead.

       I almost gasped when a car honked. My gaze flashed in the direction of the sound and there I saw a man waving through the driver's side of his car. A wave of relief washed through me as I walked towards the vehicle, my eyes focused on the plates which to my satisfaction was the one he'd texted me.

       He hopped out when he saw me and immediately ran to take my suitcase, a smile on his chubby face.
       "Good afternoon, ma'am," he said, cheeks rosy.

      I managed a smile. "Good afternoon. Please, call me Katie," I said.

      He quickly nodded as he struggled to get my luggage in the back of his car. I hopped in the back and made myself comfortable, breathing another sigh and happy with the freshness inside.

      "I'm David," he said as he got into the driver's side.

       "Nice to meet you," I smiled, realizing he watched me through the rear view.

        "I hope you had a good flight," he said.

         "It was okay," I shrugged, digging into my purse to get my phone.

          "Welcome home."

           My lips parted to clarify that this wasn't really home but I stopped myself before the words came out. David didn't have to know that it had only been my home for a short time. This was only a visit.

       "Thanks," I said instead, peering out the windows as he swerved out of the airport parking lot and onto the main road.

      A sense of nostalgia filled me the further he drove. I realized that this was still the same for the most part and the only changes were mostly a fresh coat of paint slathered over old buildings. I wound the windows down and inhaled the fresh air which was a huge contrast from that in the city. I could feel the coolness on my skin, the warmth of the sun. I didn't even realize I needed to have this until now.

         My loose hair tickled my skin as the wind picked up a few tendrils and made them dance across my face. I couldn't help my grin at the happiness that suddenly bubbled up in my chest.

           "Happy to be back?" David asked, our gazes met through the rear view.

            "Something like that," I offered, resting my chin against the window again, feeling like a child discovering something new.

        When we passed my old high school, my pulse raced and I recalled a time where it felt like torture being there. Every day felt like agony to me and I had counted down the days to leave like my life depended on it. But then I met William and it had felt like school wasn't the worse thing to exist. He finally made me feel alive after years of feeling like the walking dead. It was like I'd discovered a new me and I loved her - I loved him.