A new daddy

Season 1, episode 2

"What's the key to being a great dad? That's a tough one."

We drive down the street and I zone out, but am abruptly brought back to reality when Jay stops the car and in between laughs manages to yell, "Nice bike, sally."

"Dad!" Claire scolds.

"Come on. He looks like little bo peep on that thing" Jay says, insultingly.

"Actually, not for long. He's getting a new bike this afternoon" Phil informs.

"I am?" Luke asks, shocked.

"Mm-hmm."

"He is?" Claire asks, equally as surprised in Luke.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, I called that place in napa And got us upgraded to a villa with a hot tub, So pack whatever you wear in a hot tub" Jay calls out to Gloria.

"Oh gross" I say as I fake gag.

"Mwah! I usually wear nothing when I'm in a hot tub" Gloria responds.

"I'm gonna go find some bleach for my ears and eyes" I tell them before walking off.

"And my college roommate's wife just had to get a new hip, sucker" Jay comments as he laughs.

I walk off to my room to pack my bag for my trip with my dad. Me and Manny's 'father' is taking us for a couple of days to disneyland, and so Jay and mom are gonna go to the wine country. And I hadn't packed, knowing deep down that the odds of him actually taking us to Disneyland was basically none.

A few minutes later I hear knocking on my door, "what?!" I call out.

My door opens and Jay peaks in. "Come on, we gotta build Manny's fan" Jay tells me.

"Why do I have to do that? It's not my fan and I'm not his parent, it's not fair" I say, pouting.

"You know what else isn't fair? You two get to live here for free while I have to go to work to accommodate your shopping addiction and Manny's... well you know" Jay tells me firmly before adding, "so suck it up because life isn't fair."

I huff and cross my arms over my chest before slipping out of bed and heading over to Manny's room with Jay. As we walk through the short walk through the hallway I tell him, "you know, I was trying to save you from getting hurt. Me and construction; not a good combo."

"So, let's do this" Jay says, initiating the construction of the fan.

"Okay, but we need to be done by 3:00. That's when my dad's picking us up" Manny informs him.

I look down at my feet, knowing he was gonna get his hopes crushed. I had learned enough times to never trust my dad, Manny sadly, hadn't.

"Hey, if we're not done by 3:00, I'm gonna tie a noose on this thing" Jay retorts.

"In colombia, there's a saying -- If you have two stubborn burros that don't like each other, You tie them to the same cart. The ceiling fan is the cart."

"My dad's taking us to space mountain. It's supposed to be really fast, but he's not scared of anything. He doesn't even wear a seat belt when he drives" Manny rambles, pride evident in his voice.

"Wow. How about that?" Jay mumbles.

"He killed a bear once" Manny adds.

"Really? Was the bear sitting in the passenger seat?" Jay asks jokingly before adding, "Read me the instructions."