fuss on a bus

Jan 2nd: Write a story set entirely on a double decker bus
....

I was growing impatient. I had a job interview in a few hours and I was already stressed out.

"This is my seat!" I said for the umpteenth time in my heavy British accent that probably sounded so outlandish to the pesky American passenger bugging me.

"I sat here first and then went to get something from someone before you came," the brown haired dude argued, glaring at me with his fascinating grey eyes.

"But–"

The man finally decided to ignore me and just sit on the seat without another word.

Smoke was practically streaming from my ears as I thought of the many ways I could harm the guy.

But the guy didn't look so weak, though. He was fit and had prominent muscles that he deliberately showcased through his black sleeveless Tee.

After deliberating for a few seconds, I gave up and stormed up the stairs to the upper deck on the bus.

I always preferred staying on the lower deck in case of any accident.

Okay, I know in an accident, the lower deck might be harmed even more...see it depends.

Anyways, I strolled through the seats, looking round wearily. I made sure not to accidentally look out the window, so I wouldn't change my mind and run out of there.

The seats were barely filled up  and I walked all the way to the back.

I took the last seat, closest to the window and stared straight ahead.

After a few moments, more passengers began to emerge from the stairs and fill up the seats.

I was busy on my phone and so I jerked slightly when I felt a hand brushing mine.

I looked to my right to see a petite young lady sitting beside me.

Despite myself, I was instantly captivated by her ethereal beauty.

She had long, thick, black hair that fell on her shoulders and cascaded down her front, resting simply on her legs.

Her amber irises were accentuated by her thick, long lashes, fanning outwards atop her pretty doe eyes.

"Hi," she said, snapping me out of my trance.

"Um... hello."

"Hope you're okay with me sitting here."

"Of course! It's no problem. Please feel comfortable."

She smiled, her cute, pink lips stretching as she did.

My gaze rested there for a while before I blinked and looked away before she noticed.

The bus finally began to move, shaking a bit as it trundled down the road.
I held my breath, praying that the journey would be a smooth one.

I was a little tensed up, my hands firmly planted on the arm rests and my heart struggling to beat at its normal rhythm when I started to hear humming from my side.

I turned around slowly and my eyes lit up as I realized that the pretty young lady was the singer of the beautiful tune.

To my pleasant surprise, I knew the song that she was singing and I unknowingly joined in the quiet humming.

When she realised what was happening, she turned to me with a bright smile on her face and swayed her head from side to side as we hummed together.

"Oh my! You know that song. It's one of my favourites!" she exclaimed quietly.

"Me too," I smiled to myself, knowing we had something in common.

Hmm, maybe something could happen between us.

After moments of silence, once the song was finished, the bus finally came to a halt and the doors below screeched open audibly and I let out a sight of relief.

The lady I never got to know her name smiled at me amusingly and giggled to herself.

"I didn't know you were afraid."

I chuckled nervously.
"I just don't like the upper deck, that's it."

Her lips made an O and then she smiled in sympathy.

"Well, we arrived safely. Thank goodness."
She looked the other direction as if in search of something or someone.

"Yeah..." I mummured, trying to assemble the courage to get her phone number.

"Um," I started.

She whipped around and stared at me expectantly.

"It was nice meeting you. Could I, perhaps, get your num–?"

"Emils!" a man yelled from a distance away.

"Yes, darling! I'll be right there."

She smiled at me once more and waved before she walked off to meet the man, probably her partner and I stood there, face fallen watching as she ran to him with open arms.

I sighed to myself and grabbed my backpack.

That was some experience.

"Oh, shit!" I exclaimed, turning my phone screen on to check the time.

I had thirty minutes before the interview began.

I sprinted down the stairs, knocking some people down as a result, and not caring a single bit as I tried to ignore the weird and painful feeling in my chest.