Piggy bank

Jan 1st: Write a story titled Piggy Bank
....

"Please, please, pleasee just one more!" Cory pleaded as he grabbed his backpack from his bed, ready to dash out of his room.

His curtains were still drawn together, blocking out the light from outside, making it seem like it wasn't 8 o'clock in the morning and the city wasn't bustling with activity already.

"I told you master C, you can't use more than one coin in a day!" Mr Piggy, the baby pink, medium sized piggy bank bellowed.

"But...that one wasn't even a serious one."

Mr Piggy made a sound like pieces of metal clanging together.

"You asked for money for a videogame controller made entirely of gold."

Cory glanced to the side and folded his arms stubbornly.
"Still not that serious."

"Master C, I've told you what happens if you use more than a coin in a day."

"Well, technically, you've never told me exactly what happens. You just say something tragic will occur for you and everyone and everything concerned with financial transactions in this weird and really boring voice that makes you sound like my economics teacher so I just don't really -"

"Cory! "

"Mmm."

"I can't do this for you, I'm sorry!"

Cory groaned and slumped on his bed, his gaze on the ceiling.

"What's the point of being magical if you can't even help someone out whenever they need it?"

"Because humans aren't responsible, that's why. And you're the least responsible."

Cory gasped and pushed himself off his bed.

He scrunched his face up and then after a moment sighed in defeat.

"Fine. I'll just leave."

"Good."

Mr Piggy rotated and finally settled with his front facing backwards and then got quiet as he sat there still.

A smirk materialised on Cory's face and he tiptoed to his room door.

As he got to the door, he opened it and then shut it after a few seconds without stepping outside.

Then he stealthily creeped over to the unsuspecting piggy bank and when he finally got to it successfully without making a noise, he tapped the red button that peeking out from its behind.

"Hey!" Mr Piggy protested, but was too late and couldn't do anything as a small silver coin slid out from a hole beneath it and landed in Cory's hand.

He spun around so quickly, the numerous coins within him jiggled.

"No! What have you done!" it screamed as Cory retreated, smugly, holding the coin in front of his face.

"I'm sorry Mr Piggy, I had to do this."

"No!" The coins inside him clattered again, resembling his fury. "You don't get it! This is bad!"

Cory couldn't care less.
"What's the worst that could happen? The ATM machines stop working?"

He scoffed.
"Who even uses those anymore?"

Mr Piggy turned around solemnly as kept quiet and still once more.

Cory slid the coin into his backpack and skipped out the door, a bright smile on his face on his way to school.

***

"Ahh!" Cory squealed as he picked up the sweet, blinding white pair of sneakers gingerly. "Tricking piggy was definitely worth it."

Piggy was magical piggy bank that gave coins each day to its owners. One coin is worth any amount that you want and that's why it's so special.

But the thing was that you're only allowed to use one coin per day or else bad things would start to happen in the financial world. Money would be worthless, banks wouldn't operate. Everything concerning money would be in chaos and what is life today without monetary transactions?

Well, Cory definitely didn't think it through. His blonde, wiry, 16 year old, cunning self was too stubborn and greedy to understand.

"Here you go." He handed over the coin to the guy at the counter to pay for his cool new sneakers.

To him, it looks like a regular coin, but to others that weren't aware of the magic of the piggy bank, it looked like whatever amount was needed at the moment.

"Um...are you trying to play with me?" the guy asked.

"What? No, why would you think that?"
Cory looked down at his hand.

The coin was still there, unharmed.

"There's nothing in your hands, mister. You either gimme the money or drop those sneakers back."

"Wha...?"
Cory looked back down to confirm that he wasn't the crazy one but to his horror, the image of the coin was blinking and it was slowly disappearing from his fingers."

He chuckled and looked back nervously at the guy at the counter who was still staring at him like he had lost it.

In a second, the coin finally vanished completely and Cory began to panic.

Mr Piggy!

He dropped the shoe box on the ground without a second thought and sprinted out of the shop.

In a few minutes, he reached home and dashed up to his room.

The door burst open and he ran for his reading table, where Mr Piggy was always placed.

"Mr Piggy!" His eyes widened in terror and he could barely make out a another word as he stared at shards of pink ceramic littered on the ground.

He slowly walked over and crouched, his hands shaking and his heart racing as he picked a piece of Mr Piggy and stared at it with tears now clouding his vision.

"No..." he sobbed, the piece slipping out from his fingers and landing on the ground with a clink.

There were no coins on the ground, strangely.
It looked like someone came and smashed the piggy bank and stole all the coins.

But no.
My piggy was magical and he knew exactly what happened.

He sat down on the ground, his shoulders slumped and rested his face into his palm and cried bitterly.

He had known Mr Piggy ever since he was 5 years old.
And now, because of his greediness, he lost him.

I just lost my dear piggy.

But, unknown to him, that was just the beginning.