009

Best. Kiss. Ever.

Propped against Bing in the school lot, I wait for Max and El completely lost in the memory of two nights ago.

His hard chest pressed firmly against mine, my hands threaded through soft unruly curls. The tingling wave of euphoria that sparked and exploded beneath my skin the second his lips touched mine.

I've never considered heroin, but if that's anything like what your first hit feels like I certainly understand the appeal.

I lick my lips and can still taste the mint chocolate on his tongue. Gentle yet passionate, tentative yet all consuming. I've never experienced a kiss like that. I should probably feel a little more embarrassed about shamelessly pulling him back for seconds, but all I can manage is wanting more.

After he left that night, I laid in bed replaying the moment on a continuous loop until drifting asleep and still reliving it in my dreams. I never asked Eddie why he showed up at my house that night, and the truth is I'm not sure I really care.

I was drowning, and he saved me. Who am I to question fate?

I jump when Eddie's deep voice suddenly comes from behind me. "I have a brilliant idea!"

My face heats, like he can somehow read my previous thoughts. Tugging the collar of my jacket higher to hide my tinged cheeks, I reply. "Wearing pants in public isn't optional, Munson."

He hums a laugh and playfully tugs at the end of my ponytail. "I have a rental due."

I stare at him and slowly blink my lust clouded eyes. "Oh–kay?" I drag, still unsure of where the conversation is going.

"I have a movie that needs to be returned...to Family Video" he stands beside me, nudging his shoulder with mine. "Good idea, right?"

Ohh, I see. Fuck.

He's grinning down at me, eyes wide and practically vibrating with excitement. It's obvious he's so fucking proud of himself. It's adorable, and yet I still can't help but give him a hard time.

"Eddie, I know your brain is mush due to all the thinking you've been doing," I use my hand to lightly tap my knuckles against his head. "But you haven't actually told me what this brilliant idea is."

He catches my wrist in the air and places a gentle kiss on the top of my hand. A warm blanket of goosebumps dance across my skin, and I suppress the shiver that runs through me.

"You." Kiss "Me." Kiss "And a trip to Family Video." Kiss "A little birdy told me a certain douche bag with good hair is working tonight" he grins and releases me.

Though it's obvious he's gotten more comfortable touching me, Eddie hasn't kissed me again since that night on the porch. Just lots of 'casual PDA' that we agreed on in public, hugging, pecks on the cheek, and constant hand holding. None of it makes me uncomfortable, in fact it just feels natural.

Truthfully, I'd be lying if I said I didn't hate him a little for being such a goddamn gentleman.

I release a nervous breath and tuck my trembling hands into my coat pocket. "Is the little birdy Henderson?"

"Obviously," he grins and moves his body in front of me. "What do you say, Mils?" He presses his palms to the roof on each side of my head. He's so close I feel the warmth of his body heat cover me like a blanket from the cold. "Feel like putting on a little show?"

Nope. Sure don't. Not even a little bit.

I don't actually give a single shit about putting on a show for anyone, especially Steve. But if I admit that to him, this all ends...and I'm certainly not ready for that either.