Ava managed a small smile, appreciating Nate's attempt to inject some normalcy into the tense atmosphere. "She's with Brian for now. I'll bring her by the house later, don't worry."

Nate's eyebrows raised inquisitively, a hint of a smirk playing at the corner of his mouth. "Oh, so Brian's here too, huh? How are things going there? Any news you want to share with your favorite brother?" he teased, his tone light but curious.

Ava playfully nudged him, her heart momentarily lighter amidst the worry. "Nate, not now. But trust me, you'll be the first to know when there's something to tell," she promised, grateful for the brief respite from the heavy emotions of the day.

Nate chuckled, not deterred by her response. "Come on, Ava, you've got to give me something. I've been waiting five years for some action in this storyline. It's like my own personal telenovela," he joked, his humor a welcome distraction.

Their parents, witnessing the exchange, allowed themselves a momentary respite from their worries, finding a small measure of peace in the playful interaction between their children.

The door opened again, introducing a new wave of tension. "Ava..." The voice was familiar, achingly so.

There, in the doorway, stood Ethan. His face was a complex tapestry of shock, regret, and something that looked painfully like love. Their eyes met, and for a moment, the world seemed to fall away, leaving only the two of them in the silent echo of their shared past.

The room was heavy with emotion, charged with the unspoken words and feelings that lingered in the air. Ava stood frozen, caught between the family she had just embraced and the man who had once meant everything to her. 

Ethan stood there, just as striking as she remembered, his doctor's white coat doing little to mask the charisma that had always been a part of him. Five years seemed to have merely polished the Ethan she once knew, his presence as captivating as ever.

Ava felt a tumult of emotions as she stood there, her heart racing inexplicably. She couldn't understand why the sight of him was stirring feelings she believed were long gone. She had spent years rebuilding her life, finding peace and a new direction, and yet, here she was, her pulse quickening, her mind reeling at the sight of Ethan.

Silently, she scolded herself, frustrated at her own reaction. 'This isn't me anymore,' she thought, trying to steady her racing heart. 'I've moved on.' But the flutter in her chest told a different story, a reminder of a past that wasn't as distant as she'd convinced herself it was.

In the hospital room, Ethan was forced to maintain a strictly professional demeanor, owing to his role as Mr. Greenwood's attending doctor. Surrounded by his team of nurses and resident doctors, he had to navigate the delicate balance of addressing his patient's health concerns while also contending with the unexpected presence of Ava.

"Mr. Greenwood, you've suffered a mild heart attack," Ethan began, his voice steady and clinical. He carefully explained the situation, conscious of the watchful eyes of his medical team. "The primary cause appears to be stress, likely from overworking. It's critical that you take a step back and focus on your recovery."

As Ethan spoke, his gaze involuntarily shifted to Ava, causing a momentary flicker in his otherwise composed expression. Ava, acutely aware of his glances, felt a wave of emotions but remained silent, trying to process the flood of memories Ethan's presence brought.

Ethan continued, outlining the medical advice and precautions. "Rest is essential, and reducing work-related stress is crucial to prevent any further incidents. We need to ensure there isn't a recurrence."

Nate, sensing the underlying tension, interjected with words of thanks. "Thank you, Ethan. It's reassuring to know our father is in capable hands."

Ethan nodded, acknowledging the gratitude. "Of course. It's important that Mr. Greenwood follows these guidelines. My team and I are available should you need any further assistance."