17. rebellious streak.

Zacznij od początku

"Draco he's going to tell your parents," Evan said breathlessly as she struggled to keep up with his pace.

"Let him," Draco hissed under his breath.

As they were both tearing down the pitch black corridor, Evan shoved a hand on the center of Draco's chest, sending him flying back into a wall.

He panted and looked down at her hand, nearly chuckling.

"Oh, how the tables have turned," he said ominously.

"Draco, for fuck's sake, your father is gonna—"

"Freak out? Disown me? Okay," he said frantically, nodding. He barred his teeth, leaning in. "Fucking let him."

"You . . . you can't just . . ." Evan stuttered, shaking her head in bewilderment.

"What?" he interrupted, his chest heaving against Evan's hand. "I can't just . . . have my own life? You're right, I have never been able to. But he's not ruining this, hell no."

As Evan was raising another confused question, Draco slipped to the side and tore away from her. He stomped through the corridors, pelted through the portait hole, and barreled into the Slytherin common room. He was tearing over to the doorway to the dorms when he noticed that Pansy Parkinson was sitting at the table.

"Enjoy yourself?" Pansy scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest. The common room was empty except for her, as Draco supposed the others were still down at the boathouse.

The fact that Pansy was there alone, and wore a knowing smirk on her face, made Draco realize all at once that this was her doing.

"Oh, yes," Draco said in a frenzy, his eyes wide and crazed. "Best night of my fucking life."

Pansy's eyes widened. Draco sneered at her before tearing upstairs to his dormitory.

He was sure Snape's own owl was already in transit. But he hastily ripped a piece of parchment in half and scribbled his own note upon it.

Lucius Malfoy,

It's true.

- Draco Malfoy.

- - -

Note writing became a regular part of Draco's daily routine during the following week.

In lieu of talking to Evan directly, he wrote her a note the next day, slipping it into her hand as they all left for breakfast. He tried to keep it as discreet at possible, using only their first initials and using disappearing ink to ensure that Pansy wouldn't intercept it.

E,

I think it was Pansy who found the note. Just a hunch.

I'm trying to keep my distance until she calms down about it. Not for my benefit, but for yours.

Because I don't care anymore.

Let's tell them all.

D.

Draco watched Evan read the note, holding it under the table at breakfast. As she scanned her eyes down the parchment, she looked completely startled. When she looked up, meeting his eyes across the table, Draco simply smiled at her as her brain exploded.

Draco was realizing that he may not have to spend the rest of his life in a forced marriage at Malfoy Manor, tending to centuries old peacock flocks and popping out platinum blond purebloods. He was positively and recklessly giddy.

The only thing that would make it all better was if Evan weren't so stressed. He didn't like seeing her worry, and he could practically hear it in her reply to his note.