Comic Relief

Tyler's POV

Lia wasn't at the board wak and neither was "David." I felt relieved, but still, somehow, worried more than ever. Willingly, Lia left with someone she recently met and ditched me. We were best friends long ago, but I thought she would always consider me her closest friend as I considered her. She seemed so delicate with him; I don't think she fits with these poor examples of men. They seem out of sorts and nothing like Lia. I can't imagine that she has changed that much since September.

As I roamed the Boardwalk, I entered a couple of stores; most were surf shops, but it wasn't until I entered a comic book store did I notice the peculiarity of this town. The walls were covered in movie and comic book posters and there were short aisles filled with comic books. 'What a bizarre store.' I thought to myself as I strolled into the strange shop. Inside, were a pair of middle aged men. One was tall and lanky with a black buzz cut. He was sporting an army green jumpsuit and a stone cold visage. Opposite of the army brat, was a short with an average build; he was wearing a plain white t shirt underneath a red and black flannel button-up shirt. A red bandana was tied around his forehead keeping back a mess of dishwater blonde hair.

"Can we help you?" the short one called from behind the the cashier counter.

"No," I replied, "just looking."

"Well, if you have an questions, feel free to ask," the tall one said, monotonously.

"Okay, thanks," I scanned the shelves, not looking for anything in partiuclar. "Hey, you guys have a lot of horror comics, what's up with that?" I questioned from across the store.

"Those, are not comics," the short one responded. "We see them as survival manuals."

I picked up one titled "Vampires Everywhere" and walked up to the counter. "What do you mean 'survival manual'?"

"Notice anything unusual about Santa Carla yet?" the short one asked.

"Not exaclty, but-" I began before being interupted.

The short one informed me, "These comics will help you understand what is really going on here."

I laughed, "You guys sniffing newsprint or something? I'm pretty sure vampires do not exist and even if they did, why would they live in California? It's too sunny."

The tall one answered this time, "As long as they have their coffin, they can live anywhere."

"So vampires really live here? In Santa Carla?"

Gruffly, the short one replied, "Yeah."

"Whatever."

"Just take the comic," the lanky one held out "Vampires Everywhere," and continued, "Our number is on the back and pray you never need to call us."

"And who is 'us'?" I questioned as I gently took the comic.

"Edgar," the short one introduced, "and Alan Frog," he jutted his thumb back to the tall one. "We're the Frog brothers."

I nodded, "I'm Tyler and I'll pray I never need to call you," and walked out of the store, rolling up the comic and stuffing it into my right shorts pocket. 'This town is so strange.'

Lia's POV

I stopped, changed and dumped my old clothes. Now, I was sporting a teal tanktop and black jean shorts. As I walked along the road, I realized the disaster I had gotten into. My thoughts switched between my problems and the beauty of the view of Clif's Peak.

"Lia," a voice similar to Paul's shook my thoughts. I stopped dead in my tracks. "Why are you alone?" It called again. Suddenly, Paul was right in front of me, hiding in the shadows of trees. "Lia, why don't you come back with me? We could be so happy together, forever," he cupped my cheek with his right hand and I shook my head in an attempt to pull away. When he pulled away, he began to circle around me. "It's David, isn't it? You feel drawn to him. Trust me, Lia; he's nothing compared to me."