"Did something happen?" I ask, staring at him. 

"Straight to the point, hmm?" He laughs, then reaches down and pats his leg, motioning for me to sit. I walk over slowly, giving him a look as I sit down on his thigh. His arms automatically slide over my thighs, holding me in place gently and moving me to face towards him, putting my legs around his waist loosely. "There was supposed to be a shipment of guns in California at 4:15 am this morning, our time. It didn't show but we sent half of the money, the sellers are giving us some issues and we either need the money, or the guns. I'm going to have to go personally, my men can't handle it." 

I bite my lip to stop myself from saying anything. I've noticed that over the time of my being here, I've gotten extremely clingy and attached to Ace and I don't want to hold him back. He needs to get his job done, that's what goes first. I can handle a couple of days without him. 

Almost as if he can read my mind, he rubs my back comfortingly and wraps his arm around my waist. I feel his warm breath over my skin as he leans in and kisses my forehead. 

"I want you to come with me, you're helping me take care of things so you should get to meet the people we make deals with. You also shouldn't be locked up on the property all of the time, it might keep you safe but it's unfair to you, you're not a pet," He says, giving me a serious look. I blush slightly at the end of what he said but shake my head to refocus. "You don't have to go if you don't want-"

"No, no, I want to go. Get any ideas of me not going out of your head, I'm going," I huff, crossing my arms. 

"That's fine, but we need to be careful, I don't want you getting hurt nor do I want your father on our trail. It'll make things more difficult," He says, rubbing a thumb over my cheek and I lean into his palm. 

"Okay," I say obediently, smiling blindly up at him. 

"Now, since we're talking about some things, I have a couple of questions for you, okay?" He says, still holding me in place. 

"Okay...?" I bite my lip, wondering what he's going to ask. Anxiety rises as I wait for him to ask. 

"Why are you running away from your father?" He questions, looking me straight in the eye. 

I pause, looking down as I think about what to tell him. 

"It's complicated," I mumble to him. His hand raises to my face again and he grabs my chin, pulling it so I look at him. 

"Tell me, I need to know," he demands. "We don't need to leave until 1, and it's 7 am. We have time for you to explain."

"He, uh. He wasn't the greatest dad, and I got hurt a lot," I start, but I pause because of the dark glint in Ace's eyes. "But he was also marrying me off to someone."

Ace's grip around me tightens and I look up at him with curiosity, his eyes are black and his mouth is tight. 

"To whom?" He seems to struggle to say this, muttering it harshly. 

"I think his name is Danny Patroville, he's the next heir to the Patti's Mafia. They're powerful in the South and my Father wanted to expand his territory there - plus they would boost his manpower so Danny was the best option. Tons of people scheduled with my dad to come meet me, and see who had the most to offer," I explain to him simply, stating the facts as truth. Ace takes a deep breath, searching my face and calming himself down. 

"I'm so sorry you had to go through that, bunny. You don't deserve that," Ace sighs as he settles, starting to bounce me on his leg. "I promise I'll keep you away from him, you'll never have to do anything you don't want." 

Nuzzling into his neck, I let out a contented sigh and curl into his chest, attaching myself to him as I enjoy getting bounced. We sit for a couple of minutes before he taps my butt softly and catches my attention. 

"Let's go get some breakfast," he suggests, pulling me closer to him by the waist. I blush and smile, putting my arms around his neck to hold myself up as I nod. He quickly stands and carries me off to the kitchen. 

---- 

"Ace!" I mumble, my mouth full with a bite of oatmeal. 

"Yes, my little bunny?" He asks sweetly from the inside of the fridge, rummaging around for something. 

I giggle softly at the name, it sparks some kind of warm fuzziness inside of me. 

"M wan no yous," I say happily, shoveling another bite in my mouth. 

"You already know me, hun," he laughs. 

"But mores," I grumble, shaking my head at him. 

"You want to know me more?" He asks, pulling his head out of the fridge as he looks at me with a semi-surprised expression. I nod happily and continue eating my oatmeal. "Okay, wait there for a second."

He jogs quickly out of the kitchen, still in his grey sweatpants, and I listen as he runs upstairs. It's hard to hear but if you really listen, you can hear the echo of him going up the steps. 

When I'm about halfway done with my bowl, he jogs back into the kitchen with two notebooks, some pencils, and a large smile. 

"These are our fact notebooks," He smiles. I look up at him, slightly puzzled. "Whenever you think of something interesting of yourself, write it down and in a week we'll trade books and look at them. We'll do this every week, okay?" 

"Otay," I smile at him. "An, an me fulls!"

"Then let's go pack our bags, we're gonna be going to California!" Ace lifts me out of my seat and sets me on his hip. "We'll also have a little vacay."

"Oooh!" I laugh and smile. He starts walking us to the bedroom and I rest my head on his shoulder as we go. 

I can't wait until we get there! We're gonna have so much fun.