Astoria cocked a brow.

"Well, I thought it was quite clear," she said, narrowing her eyes.

"No, I mean," Draco said, shaking his head. "Oh, fuck it. I want to know what I did wrong."

"You mean . . . personality wise or just—overall?"

"Okay. Astoria?" he asked gently, turning towards her. "I want to know how I made you cry."

Draco shivered at the memory of his almost-first-shagging, and the events that followed—Astoria pushing him off, bursting into tears and gripping her stomach in pain as she sobbed into his mattress.

Under the dim lights of the bookcase lamps, Astoria laughed. Draco did not think it was funny.

"Why?" she asked through her chuckles. Draco gave her a look of annoyance. Then she raised her eyebrows in understanding. "Ohh, okay. I see."

"Fucking . . . help me."

Astoria was never been one to mince words. She just came right out with it.

"Draco," Astoria said good-naturedly. "It wasn't about how we did it. It was about who we did it with."

"Okay?" he said, confused.

"You'll be fine," she said simply. Then she placed a hand on her own chest. "I just wasn't into it, that's all—and that made shagging you logistically impossible. If I had been into you, it would've been a lot . . . easier. But we were never a good fit." She gave him a playful nudge. "You know we weren't."

Draco sat back in the library chair, then agreed with her. She was never right for him, in any way. She should have been, as she fit the mold.

After his confession of his still in-tact virginity, Evangeline had asked him why he was still a virgin. Draco had thought it was a ridiculous question. But he knew that the reason—if there were ever any real reason at all—was because no other girl had ever been her.

"So," Astoria said, leaning her elbows onto the tabletop. She grinned at Draco mischievously. "Who's the lucky girl?"

"Goodbye," he said, flying to his feet. Astoria laughed.

Draco had wanted some kind of explanation, some sort of help so that, when he finally had Evan, he wouldn't hurt her. Instead, he was permanently scarred by the most embarrassing goddamn conversation of his life.

Upon his return to the common room, he walked directly to the drink table and poured out a thick glass of whiskey, chugging it all in one gulp.

"Are you . . . okay?"

Draco turned, still chugging. Evan had materialized in front of him, leaning against the drink table. She was laughing at him in amusement, having just stormed into Slytherin Dungeon and chugged an entire triple shot of firewhiskey in one blow.

Draco gave her a look, widening his eyes in abject horror at the conversation he had just had.

"Ha. No." He poured out another shot.

Evan narrowed her eyes, pausing. Then she leaned over and whispered to him, keeping her voice low.

"Fuck you, what's wrong?"

Draco froze as he was chugging the second glass of whiskey. He set it down on the drink table and smirked at her, his chest fluttering.

"You're flirting with me," Draco declared with an open grin.

"No I'm not," Evangeline said quickly, pursing her lips together.

"Oh, you're flirting the fuck out of me."