X I I I

Yuki stared up at Hanabusa, thinking of how to answer his question. She held her neck, worried.

"Does he know?" she thought. "Does he know that Zero is a vampire and that he lost control last night and bit me?"

As if he was reading her mind, Hanabusa sighed and spoke up. "Everyone was in a stir last night, but Kaname eventually told us to ignore it." He crossed his arms over his chest. "He didn't even go into detail about why we smelled so much blood. But everyone calmed down and did what they were told..."

He glared down at her from the stairs, frowning. "It seems like that's all Kaname ever does nowadays... All he ever does is protect you and that hot-headed Mizuki. And I don't get it...Why are you two so special to him?"

Hanabusa's resentful rant went in one ear and out the other once she heard him say she was special to Kaname. Her cheeks went red as she became shy from the thought.

"He thinks I'm special?" she asked. She looked away, smiling to herself. "...I didn't realize..."

"He's so kind," she thought. "He's even keeping it a secret that Zero's a vampire. He must really care..."

Yuki's naïve response makes Hanabusa frown deeper from jealousy, his ice-cold glare putting a chill in the air that caused the candles that dimly lit the room from the wall to go out.

"This is so annoying," he growled, grabbing the rail as he turned to her.

As soon as he touched the iron bar, ice began rapidly forming out of his hand. It quickly expanded down the black railing, down the steps, and towards Yuki. She didn't even have time to move away when it formed around her foot and kept her from escaping anywhere.

Yuki panicked as she tried to move her foot, but it was impossible. The ice was so soft and thick that she couldn't wiggle her foot out of her shoe. It was stuck tight, and Hanabusa knew this.

He descended the stairs, his face a little more relaxed once he knew he had her in his custody. And he would only let her go if she gave him answers.

"Tell me," he urged her. "Why is Kaname so fond of you?" He reached the bottom of the stairs and stalked his way to her, making Yuki recoil away. "You're just a weak, little human girl who can't even defend herself when danger is literally biting at her hand." He grabbed the hand he fed from, noticing the fresh bandages on it.

Before he could peel it back, Yuki shoved him away. She frowned at him, trying to look tough in this situation. "Stop it!" she shouted. "Let go of me, right now, or..."

"Or what?" Hanabusa challenged her with blunt eyes. "All you have to do is tell me what you bring to the table that makes Kaname like you so much, and then I'll let you go. It's as simple as that."

Yuki groaned, remembering she hadn't brought her staff, Artemis, to whack him with. "I don't know what you're talking about. I know I wouldn't be here if it weren't for Kaname. Long ago, I was nearly killed by a vampire, and he saved my life."

Hanabusa let out a bored sound. "If that was the case, then why is he so adamant about protecting you?" he asked, rolling his eyes.

Yuki looked flustered as she was still being denied release even after she told him the truth. She knew nothing about why Kaname was so nice to her. She suspected the kindness Kaname shared was out of courtesy since he works with Kaien to have humans and vampires live peacefully.

"Or...Is it that you're his little servant girl?" Hanabusa teased, feeling as if he would get nothing out of this. So, he decided playing around with her was worth all this trouble.