16 • the end of the affair

Start from the beginning

"Your sister. So I knew another Original vampire." Stefan inquired.

Klaus groans, "If you can't handle it, don't ask."

Klaus walks over to a number of coffins which contain Original vampires. Klaus opens one. Rebekah is lying dead in it with a dagger stabbed in her chest. He smiles and gently touches her face.

Stefan says that he doesn't recognize her. Klaus complains about Rebekah's temper to which Hadiya scolds him. She's quite fond of Rebekah. Rebekah and Katerina on the other hand... not so much.

Klaus pulls the dagger out of his sister's heart, though it takes awhile for her to wake. He uses this as an advantage to make another snide remark about her. He decides he's bored and begins walking out.

"When she wakes up, tell her to meet us at Gloria's Bar. Then volunteer your carotid artery and let her feed until you die." He compels the guard who nods in return. "Hadiya, you go on to Gloria's while Stefan and I go on a little adventure."

The witch makes it back to the bar. She wasn't going to lie, she'd love to talk to another witch about anything really.

"You're the first of your kind. You're very special, my dear." Gloria tells Hadiya which makes her smile. The heretic throws a whiskey shot down her throat.

"Is it normal to feel draining? As if I'm about to run out of magic?" Hadiya asks her. Gloria said she'd be happy to answer any questions she had.

"Yes and no." The older witch begins, "You don't want to use too much of your magic at once. Savor the feeling. Don't let him push you. Or use you. No matter how sexy the accent is."

The Petrova girl laughs, nodding.

"It's not just the accent. I feel safe with him. I'm at ease, knowing he won't let anything happen to me." The heretic trails off as Gloria gives her a sad look.

"Is he protecting you because he needs you, or is he protecting you because he loves you?" The question sticks in Hadiya's mind. She truly doesn't know. He doesn't show her any affection and only compliments her every so often when she does something to please him.

Just as she shrugs, the door opens. Klaus and Stefan walk back in.

Gloria lays her hand over Hadiya's, "Ask yourself that every time that accent seems just so compelling."

Hadiya noticed how she put emphasis on the last word. The two arrive at the bar, Klaus putting his hand on her shoulder.

"What are we chit-chatting about?" He asks.

Gloria looks at Hadiya who shakes her head 'no' subtly, "Witch business. Where's Rebekah?"

"She'll be here. I can't just conjure her on demand." He grabs a drink and looks at Stefan, "What's with you? I thought Chicago was your playground."

"So this is why you asked me to be your wingman? Because you liked the way that I tortured innocent people?" Hadiya drowns out their conversation, Gloria's words embedding themselves in her mind.

STEFAN AND HADIYA stand outside of the warehouse, waiting for their cue to come in. They thought it was polite to give Klaus a moment with his sister.

"I heard she was your girlfriend. Do you remember anything about her?" Hadiya asks Stefan out of pure curiosity.

He shrugs, "She was blonde, I think?"

This leads Hadiya to burst out with laughter. Stefan eventually cracks a smile too.

"You'd think a girl like Rebekah would leave a more memorable impression." Their laughter dies down into comfortable silence.

Stefan sighs, "I know she was full of light and joy. She had this look in her eyes that... god, you couldn't not fall in love with her. She liked painting, it would soothe her. I'd watch because it soothed me too. She had these gorgeous brown eyes and a nice smile. A laugh that made you laugh, you know?"

Hadiya nods, soaking in everything he's saying. Though, one thing does stump her.

"Rebekah's eyes are blue, I thought?" She questioned.

"Right, yeah. Blue."

Uncomfortable silence blooms between them as Klaus shouts for Stefan to come inside, leaving Hadiya out in the dark. She wanted Stefan to also have a moment with her. It truly sounded like he loved her.

 It truly sounded like he loved her

we're slowly making progress

~c