Gahel's heart began to thump quicker than usual, and he could feel the heat rising to his face. "That you're here because I saved your life?"

"Yes," said Coriolanus.

The two of them fell into silence, neither of them having talked to the other with so much ... peace since they first met.

Just then, Gahel heard a familiar voice echoing throughout the room and lifted his head. "Coriolanus, do me a favor and open the curtains, will you?"

Coriolanus looked a little surprised but obeyed and opened the curtain around the dark-haired boy to reveal a television on the wall, and Lucy Gray singing.

"When I was a babe I fell down in the holler. When I was a girl I fell into your arms. We fell on hard times and we lost our bright color, you went to the dogs and I lived by my charms," Lucy Gray sang, her eyes scanning the audience. "It's sooner than later that I'm six feet under. It's sooner than later that you'll be alone."

Gahel turned away and looked at Coriolanus instead. "Shouldn't you be there with her?"

Coriolanus shrugged. "It's fine. She'll be fine by herself."

"All the other mentors are with their tributes," Gahel accused.

"She's fine. Shouldn't you be worrying about your own tribute?"

"I knew that she wasn't going to be on the interviews," Gahel said in disdain. "I'm not surprised. My point is on you. You should've just been with her instead of with me."

Coriolanus sighed. "She's good without me. Look."

Gahel followed Coriolanus' finger to the screen, where the donations were up to 1440.

"Ding, ding, ding. Look at that. Record high for the evening! The Capitol is definitely watching," said Lucky Flickerman. "People sending in donations. See what happens when you do stuff?"

Lucy Gray smiled on screen. That girl was definitely good with the cameras. "Yeah."

"Now, I don't love your odds, but may they be in your favor. Ms. Lucy Gray, District 12," Lucky called out Lucy Gray's name one more time before he turned back to the audience. "How wonderful is this night that we all get to be here for someone's final performance. Ms. Lucy Gray, thank you. Go home, go to bed, get a good night's sleep. You've got a big day tomorrow."

Lucy Gray maintained a professional smile. "Of course. Thank you, Lucky."

As she went off the stage and the Panem anthem began to sound, Gahel pondered as to why the hell Coriolanus Snow was by him.

He wasn't complaining, because he would be lying if he said that he never imagined sitting face-to-face with this one beautiful boy and talking, but he knew that that wasn't possible between the two.

It seemed that his little rescuing did the part to get him time between him and Coriolanus, but Gahel didn't know what to say to him.

It was Coriolanus who spoke first. "The doctors said that you're severely injured."

Gahel snorted. "Yeah? Tell me something I don't know. I can tell."

"Look, Gahel ..." Coriolanus hesitated, his blue eyes going back and forth. "I don't know how to put this, but ..."

Gahel raised a brow. "But what?"

"I'm sorry. They said ... you might not be able to walk properly."

"I assumed. I can't feel my leg—"

"Like, permanently."

Silence fell between the two.

"Permanently?" Gahel echoed.

Coriolanus nodded, his blue eyes compassionate, but Gahel couldn't believe what he heard.

"Hold on. I injured my leg, I get that part, but I can't walk properly forever? How's that supposed to work?"

"Your ankle was too damaged from the hit you took. The doctors tried to fix it ... but they said you'll have to have a cane to walk," said Coriolanus. 

That definitely wasn't on his list of things to do before he died, and Gahel didn't want to accept it.

"Cane?" Gahel repeated. "What, for being under a fu—I mean, metal for a minute?"

"I'm sorry," said Coriolanus.

Gahel rubbed his face. "You're not lying."

"No."

Gahel let out a breath.

He wasn't going to be able to walk properly.

He would be using a cane to walk for the rest of his life.

He couldn't even begin to think what Arthur fucking Moon would begin to say at that. If he didn't make a good show in the Games, he would probably kick him out of the house to the Districts and enlist him in the Peacekeepers, as he did to the other Gunwoo.

Then he'd get another Gunwoo, hoping that he'd be the right one this time.

As Arthur's father had done to him and many more before him.

"Get out," said Gahel.

Coriolanus blinked. "I'm sorry?"

"You heard me. Get out."

"Wait, Gunwoo—"

"That's not my name!" Gahel snapped, looking up. As soon as he did, he saw Coriolanus's wide blue eyes filled with shock and regretted it immediately. "I'm sorry. Just ... get out. Now. I need my time alone."

"Alright. Would you like the curtain closed?"

Gahel nodded.

He heard the curtain close around him softly and when he heard the footsteps retreating, punched his mattress. "Fuck!"

He was fucked.

Really, really fucked.