——————————————————

——————————————————

I walked out of Theo's coffee shop and tried to regain my composure on my trip to work. Hopefully I wasn't as completely off about him as I was about Trevor, because he was very nice looking.

I walked the few blocks to work and tried to shake the thoughts of him from my head. I had been through a pretty bad breakup shortly before I moved, and I didn't want to get myself into anything like that again.

Obviously I was a few steps ahead of myself, but I wanted to stop any thoughts of that before anything could happen. Theo probably wasn't going to give me a second thought, but better safe than sorry.

I found my way to my new office building and was focused by the time I got there. I walked inside and was greeted by a bubbly blonde.

"Hey! You must be Madison?" She said.

"Yeah, that's me, hey," I responded.

"I'm Ella, they asked if I could show you around and to your office and everything," she said as she began to walk out of the main entrance.

"Oh okay, perfect," I told her, trying not to sound too uncomfortable.

Ella walked me back past a row of desks and to a group of offices.

"Alright this one here is yours," she said as she gestured to an office door, "and I'm right next door so you can always pop over if you have a question or anything."

She grinned at me as I walked through the door, at least I had a nice friendly face to start the day.

I started to set my things down and look around as Ella stood in the doorway.

"I'll let you get settled, and Natalie should be here for you soon," she said.

"Natalie?" I quickly snapped my head up.

"Yup! She works with all of the new hires to get them started," Ella said.

"Oh...okay," I mumbled.

"You know her or something?" She asked me.

"Yeah - I mean kind of, we just went to school together," I said.

"Oh nice!" Ella said enthusiastically, "well between you and me, she can kind of be um, a little bit of a piece of work, but she's damn good at her job."

"Yeah, I could see that," I responded.

I continued to rummage around my things and Ella took it as a sign to go back to her office.

"Good luck today," she said, "I'll see you around soon."

"Thanks, I appreciate it," I smiled at her.

I sat down at my desk and stared at the computer in front of me. Fucking Natalie Harris. I was well aware that she worked here, but I had no idea that I'd see her this soon or that I'd be working so closely with her.

Telling Ella that I went to school with her wasn't a complete lie, but I was definitely downplaying our relationship. Natalie and I had been best friends from kindergarten all the way up to the beginning of high school.

When we got to high school, Natalie decided that she wanted to be associated with the "popular girls" and became a raging bitch. I stuck with our group of friends and she acted like she wanted nothing to do with us. We ended up having a pretty big falling out and hadn't spoken since then. Guess that would change soon.

One of my friends had told me that she worked here when I got this job, but I had definitely been hoping to avoid her for a lot longer than this.

A knock at my door made me jump, and I looked up to see Natalie standing there, looking down at her notepad.

"Madison?" She said as she looked up at me for the first time.

I saw her eyes briefly soften when they met mine, but she quickly went back to business mode.

"Hi Natalie," I said as I stood up, "long time no see."

"Mhmm," she said as she looked back down at her papers.

"Still friendly as usual," I muttered under my breath.

"What was that?" Natalie asked.

"Nothing, sorry," I said.

Not only had Natalie and I been best friends, but I had started to develop a very strong crush on her before we had our falling out. It made things even harder for me, and even more confusing.

She was the first girl I'd had feelings for, and it had never really happened again since then. I had assumed it was just some type of infatuation I had with her as a teenager, but seeing her again today, I wasn't so sure.

She was still as gorgeous as ever, but I'm sure her bitchiness would help me shake whatever feelings came up.

"Alright well follow me and we'll go over a few things," Natalie said.

I nodded at her and followed her long stride back to the main area of the office.

She gave me the full run down of everything and started to discuss what my day-to-day responsibilities would be. From the sounds of it, I was stuck with her for at least my first few weeks here.

I guess I had no other choice but to survive the training with her and then hopefully be able to ignore her after that.

The day dragged on through the awkwardness between us, but it almost seemed like I was the only one who felt it. I finally decided to say something near the end of the day.

"So are we just going to act like this is completely normal and not awkward at all, or are we going to talk about it?" I asked Natalie.

She looked up at me with a confused look, "what's there to talk about?"

"Well I - " I tried to explain but she continued talking again before I could go any further.

"Do you want to talk about how you just started to completely ignore me once we got to high school, or was there something else?" She asked.

My mouth opened in shock, "what? That's not what - "

Natalie held her hand up to stop me.

"You know what, I shouldn't have said anything, this isn't the time or place for that conversation. And it's 5:00," she nodded at the clock on the wall and stood up from her chair.

"But - " I started to protest, but she cut me off.

"See you tomorrow...unfortunately."

—————————————————