Chapter 11

I feel my bones rearranging themselves, which is as weird as it sounds, but I don't feel pain. I'm too focused on the blood on Hunter's face and that smug looking she-wolf. I glance down to see that I have shifted into a wolf. I guess it's not just older werewolves that can do that.

My paws flex and my claws dog into the soil beneath me. Hunter doesn't seem different in height at all. I guess our wolves are bigger than normal ones. The fur I can see is the same color as my brown hair when I'm human.

I snap out of my curiosity when the girl shifts as well. She is much smaller than I am, I note with satisfaction. I growl automatically and we both crouch. Her black fur ripples as she stalks closer to me.

I guess she sees me as a threat now that she has seen my wolf. At least she's not attacking Hunter anymore.

I focus on her and everything else just slips away. Except for my rage. It refuses to go away or fade into the background. I try to keep it bottled away for as long as I can, but the way she oozes hatred makes it harder to control.

I run at her and she freezes, seemingly shocked at my sudden attack. She snaps out of it quick enough to try to dodge. And she's lucky, my teeth only take a chunk out of her ear.

Blood drips slowly down her face and I can't help thinking it's almost poetic justice. She did the same to my only friend.

This time, she's the one that charges. She claws my shoulder and I snarl. It doesn't hurt much, it's just annoying me. I swipe at her, clawing along her side. She howls and her ears go back, a sign of submission. And then she runs.

I can't hear anything but the roaring of my pulse as I pace back and forth. I can feel my wound automatically closing so I no longer am walking with a limp. Once it's fully healed, I hear something trying to get through. It's muffled, so I focus. It's Hunter.

I pause mid-step and turn to her, cocking my head. I can't hear what she's saying, but from the concerned look on her face, I think she is asking if I'm okay.

All at once, the world comes into focus.

"Are you alright?" She asks and I nod slowly. She breathes a sigh of relief. "Please, calm down. You're fine. She's gone. I'm not even badly hurt, I promise. Please calm down."

As soon as she mentions that she-wolf, I tense again. That no good coward hurt her.

Hunter must see that I'm getting angry again because she pleads for me to calm down once more. She moves forward slowly and stretches out her hand. I flash back to the fight. The wolf takes over for a moment and I sink my teeth into her lower arm.