Chapter Twenty-Three: When the Bookworm Leads Herself into Dangerous Grounds

Start from the beginning

He stared at me for a moment making me fidget, nervously playing with the hem of my shirt as I waited for him to reply.

It was a long moment of silence before he finally stood up and approached me. His face softened from his stern expression as he drew me into a hug, kissing the top of my head.

"I just want you to be safe, Mabes," he whispered, hugging me tightly. "That's all I want."

"I know, Ivan, I know."

"You're smart enough to make your own decisions without me hovering. I was becoming a helicopter parent, wasn't I?" He chuckled. "If you need help with anything, I'll always be here for you, you know that, right?"

I nodded, leaning back, kissing his cheek. "I know. Thank you."

"Now, I understand why parents fuss over their kids and the whole 'they're growing up too fast'. You, Mabel, are growing up too fast. I'm going to miss the little squirt who always followed me around. Just...just don't grow up too fast, okay? I still want to be your big brother."

"I won't, Ivan. I'll always need you."

"Good. Now, go call Riley that you can be friends with them. He's probably shitting his pants right now."

"Why?"

Ivan grinned mischievously, "Told him if he didn't get a call from you that meant you guys aren't friends anymore."

"That's messed up, Ivan."

"I know!" He cackled as he headed towards the kitchen to make dinner.

I smiled fondly before took out my phone and quickly dialed Riley.

It had only rung once before it was hastily answered with a "Please tell me we're friends again!"

I chuckled, "Yeah. I put my foot down and Ivan complied."

Riley sighed, "You would not believe how happy I am. I'll kiss Ivan later but Mabel – Stop, I'm talking to her, man! She called me not you, so get off!"

"Who are you talking to?"

It was not long before I got my answer.

"Hey, Mabel. Heard you can be friends with us again," Evelyn's voice was followed by Riley's painful groan.

"What did you do to him?"

I could mentally see Evelyn shrug as she said, "Hit him where the sun don't shine, babygirl."

"Evelyn!" I scolded yet couldn't keep the smile off my face.

"What? He didn't let me talk to you. Anyway, there's this party – "

"No!" I cried out, covering my eyes. I couldn't believe Evelyn. "No parties. That's what started this mess, Evie."

"...You called me Evie – "

"I would not let her make the plans, Mabel. Don't worry," Riley spoke over Evelyn. "But do you want to hang out? I haven't figured out what to do yet but I'll tell you tomorrow at school. Is that cool?"

"Yeah, that's okay."

"Sweet! We are so totally gonna have a girls' night!" Riley shrieked in a girly voice while Evelyn burst out in laughter.