Chapter Five: Heartbreak and School

One day, Adelia came over, sobbing.
“ Theo doesn’t love me!” She cried.
“ What?”
“ I went into town with Father late yesterday, and I saw Theo walking a girl home! I heard him ask, ‘ see you home?’ Oh, Winnie, I’m so devastated!”
“ Adelia, he just hasn't identified his feelings for you yet.” Winnie said reassuringly. “ I've seen the way he looks at you.”
“ It still hurts, Winnie, even if he does love me, it hurts.” She sobbed. Eleanor came into the room, and asked,
“ What hurts? I have bandages and soothing cream,”
“ You can't mend a broken heart.” Adelia shuttered. Eleanor sighed.
“ I had a similar experience like this once.”
“ You did?”
“ Yes, I was young once too.” She chuckled. “ Make yourselves comfortable.” She began her story. “ When I was 16, a young man asked to see me home. I said yes happily, as nobody had ever seen me home. We walked home together after church, every Sunday. But one day, the man asked another girl. I was completely devastated, I had planned our whole future together in my head. My mother tried to calm me down, but nothing worked. Then, every week, a different young man came to my doorstep, offering to go on a carriage ride, and I refused every time, my heart was still so set on having the other man's love. Eventually, the first man got married to the girl, and I was heartbroken, as I thought that I still could have had a chance with him. But, alas, the first man was completely and very in love with the girl, and I gave up. A while later, I started to recognise some feelings I had for the man who came to my doorstep. A week later, the man came to my doorstep one last time. He said,
‘ Eleanor, I know you don’t love me, but I wanted to ask one last time.’ and I said, ‘ Oh, Arthur, I do love you! I've been so caught up in my heartbreak from another man that I didn't realize I love you!’ Or, something along those lines, I can't fully remember, as this was 25 years ago. Anyways, we started courting, and we were engaged a few months later.” Eleanor finished her story.
“ Oh, Eleanor, I never knew!” Winnie said.
“ That was the sweetest story I've ever heard!” Adelia exclaimed. “ Maybe my ‘love’ for Theo is just a ‘like’.”

The next day, when they were wandering in the orchard, Adelia said,
“ I still like Theo though. I wonder when the crush will fade away.”
“ Who knows.” Winnie said.
“ So, what about Hugo?” Adelia asked.
“ What about Hugo?”
“ Is there anything going on between you two?” She asked with a suspicious glance.
“ Nope!” Winnie said cheerfully. “ He's just a friend and always will be.” A minute later, Hugo himself showed up.

School started again the next week. Winnie sat in the back of the classroom, and shared a desk with Adelia, because she had been moved up in reader's. It was their last year, and they were deciding what they wanted to do when they graduated.
“ I might go to college if I can save up enough money, or if I can get a scholarship.” Winnie said. “ I don't know what I should study, though.”
“ I've been working at the blacksmiths all summer, and I ought to be able to save enough if I work there for the rest of the year.” Hugo said. “ It's very tiring work, though, my arms get a good workout.” His arms indeed got a good workout, as they had grown stronger and larger.
“ I don't want to go to college. I want to be a teacher for a few years, and then start a family.” Adelia said, her chin on her fist.
“ I don't think I would go to college either. I really see no use for it if I work on the farm for the rest of my life. It's what I would rather do, instead of wasting a few years learning something useless.” Theo added.
“ I feel it would be fun to meet new friends and live the college life.” Winnie said.
“ Attention students,” The teacher, Mrs. Wells, announced. “ We will begin our lessons now.” The kids sighed. “ Yes, yes. We all loathe being back at school.”
The day passed uneventfully as usual.

Short filler chapter again, sorry. I would really appreciate it if someone actually READ MY STORY! Thank you.
— chaoselephant