Chapter Two: School

Winnie carried her slate and lunchbox, packed to the brim with cornbread and syrup. She wore her new dress, a white blouse, and a black skirt, coming down to her knees, she wore her white bonnet and white tights. She wore a pair of shiny black shoes. She held her head high, and followed a few other boys and girls to the schoolhouse.

The schoolhouse was old, a small room filled with seats and desks. The teacher, a young woman named Miss Brooks, has long, black hair, styled up into a delicate bun. She wore a pretty bonnet and long skirts. She wrapped her desk, and everyone looked up from their murmuring.

“ Good morning, class. Those who don’t know my name,” She wrote her name on the blackboard with chalk. “ I mostly see old faces, but I see a few new ones here too.” She looked directly at Winnie.

They started their lessons, which Winnie found easy. Halfway through the day, a boy named Hugo Barlowe started throwing splinters of wood from his desk at all the girls. The girls all started muttering, and stealing dirty glances at Hugo. Hugo was obviously the class clown, he had curly dark brown hair, and mischevious blue eyes. He was 13, and the 4th oldest boy in the class, which he thought was something amazing. He was tall, taller than average for a 13 year old boy, and strutted around. Winnie clenched her fists when a splinter of wood hit her neck. She looked over her shoulder, where Hugo was sitting diagonally from her. She flared her nostrils, and he gave her a lopsided grin, and continued to throw wood at other girls. A smaller girl, probably 8 or 9, got hit in the neck, and exclaimed,

“ Ow!” Miss Brooks turned around.

“ What is wrong, Miss Turner?” The little girl blushed.

“ No, Miss Brooks. I just stubbed my toe.” Why didn’t the girl tell the teacher it was Hugo? A bit later, Winnie got hit on the cheek as she was turning her head. A few seconds later, another piece of wood slid across her desk. She’d had it. Winnie abruptly stood up, causing the teacher to look back at her.

“ Miss MacFarlan? Is there something wrong?”

“ Yes, there is, Miss. Hugo over there is throwing bits of wood at all the girls.” A few snickers came from the boys.

“ Well now, Hugo. Would you please come up here? Miss Winnie, you may sit down now.” Instead of rapping Hugo’s knuckles with the ruler a few times, she made him apologize to the class.

“ I am very sorry about throwing wood at the girls.” Hugo said, smirking, and looking at Winnie. 

“ You may go back to your seat.” Hugo passed by Winnie, and she glared up at him. He smirked back.

The rest of the day passed uneventfully, and soon it was time to go home. As Winnie was walking out of the schoolhouse, a girl of about her age came up.

“ Hello,” She said a little breathlessly. “ I’m Adelia.” Adelia had wavy golden hair, and hazel eyes. She was an inch taller than Winnie, and looked like a ballerina.

“ Hello.” Winnie said. 

“ It was really nice how you stood up for all the girls.” Adelia looked at her. “ I was really getting annoyed with Hugo.” At that moment, Hugo passed them, purposely bumping into Winnie, and making her stumble. Adelia caught Winnie’s slate as it tumbled to the ground.

“ Thanks.” Winnie said, glaring after Hugo. 

“ He is quite handsome, if only he weren’t such a jerk.” Adelia said thoughtfully. “ I used to really like him.”

“ Oh.”

“ How long have you lived here?” Adelia asked, changing the subject.

“ About two weeks now.”