8|a lone victor

Depuis le début

There was a small notecard once again.

I can't let you freeze before I see to your punishment, can I?
-🌹

It was from Snow.

Snow was going to punish her.

How could Pearl be surprised after all the threats she made? How could she act like she didn't know he was going to do something about her actions?

It pained her to think someone was being sweet and sending her a warm suit so she wouldn't freeze to death. No, Snow just wanted to personally torture her outside of the arena.

Opal looked jealous when Pearl pulled it out of the container. Pearl looked at the shivering girl. "You should take it."

Opal continuously shook her head. "No, it's your sponsor. It's ok, really."

Pearl nodded and took a minute to put the suit on. She felt instant warmth and protection. Was there a heater in this suit?

It felt criminal to thank Snow for something. Pearl dropped the note and the box. She picked up her trident and began her hike through the snow.

They were on mountain like ground, and everything looked so far away. Pearl heard a scream and whipped her head around.

"Got them!" Faye yelled.

Before she could look back at the other Careers, a chunk of snow began to fall from under her. There was a small avalanche and Faye began to fall downward.

Pearl covered her mouth in horror as the girl from District 1 hit the ground right about where Pearl and Opal were standing.

"Faye!"

Dane came running to the edge of the cliff where Faye was once standing. Bree urged for him to step back so he wouldn't suffer the same fate as Faye.

Faye's body was lifeless on the white ground and Pearl couldn't help but feel awful. Faye was a ruthless Career, but it hurt on the inside to see her dead.

The canon boomed. Six tributes remain.

Dane had a psychotic look in his eyes. He clenched the dagger in his hand tightly. He looked at Pearl and then at Opal.

Without any warning, the dagger came flying out of his hand. It danced through the air and before Pearl could do anything, she realized it was coming straight towards Opal.

It all happened so fast but also so slow. It was quick enough that there was no saving her, but it also was so painful that Pearl felt frozen in time.

Opal gasped for air as her hand tracked to where the dagger pierced her chest. There was a terrified look in her eyes.

Pearl immediately ran over to her friend, tears in her eyes. "Opal, it's going to be ok."

She had to hope for the best. She knew that she was likely going to loose Opal, but she didn't want to admit it.

Opal suddenly fell backwards into the snow, and Pearl lowered herself with her. Her hand found Opal's and a red liquid fell on top of Pearl's hand.

"Pearl..."

Pearl forced a smile onto her face as she gently squeezed the District 12 girl's hand. Opal had shown her nothing but kindness and empathy throughout these games. She made Pearl forget she was in the arena.

"Opal, I'm so sorry," Pearl whispered, tears staining her skin.

Pearl stroked Opal's face gently, making sure to be there in her friend's last moments. "You were my best friend."