Chapter 90: Interregnum - The Hospital

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, Ezih," said Iroh.

"General," he bowed low before leaving the room.

Iroh removed the lid of one of the teapots and inhaled the aroma before doing the same to the other. Lifting the second teapot, he poured its contents into a cup.

"This is a special blend I made for Mina when she was carrying Lu Ten," he said placing it before Chiara. "I also made it for Princess Ursa when she carried my nephew and niece. I recommend at least one cup a day."

He began pouring the other tea for him and Zuko, and they all relished their peaceful moment together.

"At one time, I saw this in my future." He held his hand out motioning around the room. "But I must say it was from a very different path and had a very different future."

The sadness in his voice was subtle, but it did not escape Zuko and Chiara who both understood it as a reference to Prince Lu Ten.

"But I cannot adequately express how pleased I am that you are both here now to share this future with me," he said, his voice distinctly lighter.

Chiara's eyes sparkled with tears, and she placed her hand on his.

"To see the young man and young woman you have become...it...it is heartwarming."

They continued drinking their tea and enjoying their quiet time together.

--------------------

Iroh poured the last of the tea from the pot.

"I suppose it's time we take the next step," he said. "Ezih," he called.

Ezih stepped into the office from the antechamber. "Yes, General?"

"More tea, please. Just the ginseng."

"Of course, General," he said as he removed the teapots from the table.

"And send for the Avatar."

Ezih bowed and turned away.

"Oh...Ezih," said Chiara.

He turned back to them.

"Have Izin call on Aang."

He bowed. "Yes, Princess."

She smiled at the questioning looks Iroh and Zuko were giving her.

"Your nephew has quite a sense of humor," she said. "Aang may feel more comfortable if someone he knows is sent for him."

Iroh raised an eyebrow at Zuko who gave him a guilty smirk.

"I'm happy to hear you're having fun with the guests," said his uncle, a pleased look on his face.

"Yeah," said Zuko softly. "It's...it's nice."

"Friendships are important, Nephew. Learn from your ancestors, and do not to let ambition get between you and your friends."

"Yes, Uncle."

"I have looked over the list of...of guests," started Iroh. "It seems we have quite a few warriors from the Southern Water Tribe."

"They were prisoners from the invasion during the eclipse," said Zuko.

Iroh nodded having known much of the details of the failed invasion from information relayed to him by the Order of the White Lotus. "I met Chief Hakoda when he came to the camp outside Ba Sing Se before he chose to join the air fleet. I'm sure he must be anxious to lead his men home, but I would like to begin negotiations with him before he leaves."