Chapter 90: Interregnum - The Hospital

Start from the beginning

"It's getting kind of creepy," said Sokka. Though his eyes had been on Suki, his ears were on the conversation. "Like maybe we should be worried we're going to wake up in prison."

"Is that what you think of me, Water Tribe?" said Zuko, feigning hurt. "I wouldn't put you in the prison. It'd be the dungeons for you."

"Ha!" laughed Toph and the others, except Sokka.

"Yeah, you guys keep laughing," he said. "The joke'll be on you when you realize he's serious."

"Hey," whispered Zuko as they walked by him. "Don't you have a sister to watch?"

Sokka glanced back at the fountain where Katara was moving the water around Aang in a manner similar to Chiara's style around Zuko, and Aang was trying to heat it up.

"Hey!" he yelled towards them as he stood up to head to the pool. "What kind of magic water moves are those?! You don't need to be doing any steamy moves!"

Zuko and Chiara entered the palace giggling as they could still hear Sokka yelling at Aang and Katara. They followed Kaito who was leading them through the halls.

"My prince is taking sadistic pleasure in torturing Sokka," said Chiara.

Zuko was still chuckling, as were Nai and Izin behind them.

"You know," he said, "I really am."

She giggled. "It's good to see you enjoying yourself, even if it is tormenting Sokka."

"Kaito," said Zuko, "everyone in the garden is free to roam the palace without guards."

"Are you sure, sir?"

"Yes. Any place they shouldn't be is already guarded. But I trust them with my life, and I want them treated like family...except without escorts."

Kaito did not argue with him. "Yes, sir. I'll take care of it."

"Although I am tempted to have someone follow Sokka around," he said in a thoughtful voice setting Chiara to giggling again.

Kaito led them to the Fire Lord's office where two Imperial Firebenders stood guard at the door. With their faces covered, no one recognized Ezo who bowed low to the prince and princess before opening the door for the couple. Upon entering the antechamber, Ezih greeted them.

"Prince Zuko, Princess Chiara," he bowed low.

"Ezih," said Chiara nodding to him.

"This way."

They followed him into the main office. Iroh stood quietly at the window, his hands joined behind his back while he was gazing out over the palace grounds. Hearing them walk in, he turned towards them and gave them a bright smile.

"You were having such a good time in the garden, I quite regret calling you away," he said.

"Don't, Uncle. We've just been relaxing until you needed us."

"It's good to take a break from responsibilities, especially considering the road ahead." He motioned them to a table. "I wanted to enjoy tea with my daughter and son-in-law prior to resuming our duties."

"How are you feeling?" Chiara asked him as they knelt down.

"Much better," he answered. "It's amazing how rested one can feel after sleeping in a comfortable bed."

She gently smiled at him understanding just how uncomfortable prison mats and bedrolls could be.

While they were kneeling at the table, Ezih entered with a tray holding two teapots, cups, and teacakes.