Chapter 20

When Alec and Jonah showed up the next day wearing bite marks on their neck, their friends were quick to congratulate them.

Alec's mom decided to make a special dinner to celebrate the occasion, so that evening the pair went to their cabin, where Moira, Zoe, Thomas, Melissa as well as other people they knew were already waiting for them. 

The meal was joyous one, as everyone laughed and shared stories with one another. Even while Alec talked to other people, he kept his hand on Jonah's thigh to keep a form of contact with him, and the couple often shared meaningful glances throughout the dinner. 

Later that night, as they walked back towards their home, Jonah felt like he couldn't wish for anything more to be happy. 

It had been a week now since their mating, and several members of the pack had congratulated Jonah once they heard the news. It still amazed the omega how kind people were to him now. It was a far cry from when he had first been introduced to the pack. 

With the arrival of Spring, everyone was busy plowing the fields in preparation for the upcoming seeds. The mood was upbeat after the last few months of heavy snow, relishing the warmer temperature. 

Jonah was walking back from the field after the day ended. He was exhausted and ready to go back home. 

In the distance, he saw his mate who was waiting for him like usual. This time, however, he seemed to be in a serious conversation with the other men. When Alec noticed Jonah coming towards them, he said a couple of words to the men before walking towards him. 

The beta greeted him with a kiss and took a hold of his hand as they started their way back home. The omega grew concerned when his mate remained tense by his side, looking deep in thought.

"Is something the matter?" Alec seemed slightly startled as he turned to look at him.

"The patrol just came back from their round, and they picked up an unusual scent just before the border of the territory." He paused. 

"Is it a rogue again?" Jonah questioned. A feeling of dread came over him as he was reminded of the incident which happened only a month ago.

"We don't know. I told them to increase the surveillance in that area, so if there's an intruder I'm sure they will be able to catch it." The omega hummed and pressed himself against his mate's side.

As they went about their nightly routine, Jonah gradually forgot about what Alec had told him. 

Deep into the forest, a man was crouching behind a bush. He wore camouflage clothes to make him blend in with his surroundings, and he had been careful to rub his clothes against the trees and brushed to mask his scent. He rose his binoculars to his eyes to see in the distance. It took him a few seconds to adjust his sight and find what he was looking for. Far away from him where the tree line ended, several children were playing outside while a woman watched over them.

He and his companions had been bidding their time for weeks now, watching and learning when the patrols did their rounds and how they patrolled the territory. However, today was finally the day they would put their plan to action.