Chapter 15

The full expanse of the moon was once again unravelled tonight, but unlike the previous full moon, this one was slightly covered by clouds. Snowflakes drifted down gently from the small group of three walked the familiar path to Yvanna's den. 

Jonah was pressed into Alec's side, trying to seek as much warmth as possible. Even though the weather was pretty mild for a winter day, the temperature was still several degrees below freezing, and would encourage anybody to stay inside in front of a warm fire. 

Still the cold was certainly not enough to stop werewolves from going into the forest and release their wild part.

Until a month ago, Jonah himself had never felt the pull of the moon since he couldn't have contact with it while he was locked in the basement, and it was still a strange feeling to get used to.

A gentle rub against his arm brought the omega's attention back to Alec, who was looking down to him with a warm smile. Jonah felt a pinch to his heart as they looked at each other, a sensation which had begun manifesting about a week ago, and always happened in the presence of his mate. He had a rough idea of what it meant, since the subjects of love and mates were a favourite of Zoe, the eternal romantic. He hadn't shared his suspicion with someone yet, and he promised to himself he would do so as soon as the opportunity came. 

"Do you feel ready?" Jonah hummed.

"I think so. I know what to expect now, so I'm not that nervous." 

"Good." Alec's eyes crinkled as he squeezed his shoulder. 

They all met up with Yvanna, and soon enough they found themselves in the same clearing as last time. The beam of the moon was less bright than last time because of the clouds, but lit up the altar nonetheless. Jonah noticed that this time, a thick pelt had been placed on top of it. He looked towards Yvanna with a question in his eyes.

"I figured it would be more comfortable than laying on the stone itself, especially since it's so cold. We wouldn't want you to catch a cold." The older woman guided him forward towards the slate, while Moira busied herself by lighting up the torches surrounding them. 

Jonah climbed onto the slate and laid down on it. Alec came forward to give his hand a squeeze. In a similar fashion as last time, Yvanna came to stand by his head and handed the boy the seeds.

"Alright, we can begin." Without a word, Jonah took the seeds into his mouth and let his eyes fall shut. 

He focused on the intricate chanting flowing into his ears, and let his mind drift away from his body. 

Jonah didn't frighten this time as he stood in the darkness. His surroundings were the same as last time, and he didn't hesitate to go froward towards the light coming from the moon. 

He recognized his wolf. this time he was sitting with his back facing the moon, and he appeared to have been waiting for him. 

Jonah sensed anger coming from him, but he knew that it was out of concern, and not from resentment. 

This time, Jonah was able to come closer, until only a few paces were separating them. 

"Why." The wolf was frustrated. He didn't understand why his human wanted to get his poisoned memories back. He had spent all his time shielding him from them, and now all his efforts would be in vain. 

"I know you meant well by keeping them away from me, and I'll always be thankful, but without them I can't go forward. I need to know who I am."  The wolf shook his head, his tail swishing in irritation behind him.