071.

Rest was non-existent for Eleanor. Like Carol said, or rather predicted, people started to come to her more often and it was doing her head in. Aaron and Gabriel didn't stay long, already up and away with Maggie's map to find places to loot. On the other hand, Carol and Daryl were gone on their signature hunting trips which meant basically zero authority in Alexandria.

People were getting used to Glenn and Maggie coming back but the couple spent most their time inside with their own people, taking charge in the Grimes' household while looking after Judith and RJ. It was nice for them since they haven't seen the children in a long time.

"You just gotta suck it up," Maya admitted. She was leaning over a stone fence with an apple in her mouth as her eyes darted across all the busy people. "They've already forgot Margo-"

"Pack it in," Elle snapped. Every time her name was mentioned she'd feel a tingle against her cheek as a reminder of the scar the woman made. "I'm not gonna suck it up - I help by fighting, not by picking tomatoes."

"Except you can't fight since the whole..." Maya just waved her hand about Eleanor's body. Eleanor wasn't impressed and that was clear from the way her eyes dulled and her lips were planted in a timid smile. Maya just laughed. "It's not such a bad thing." She hummed, "They need someone."

Elle sighed and stood away from the growing patch of vegetables. Her knees were dirty, hands too and splotches of dried mud was on her face. "They can't just forget I killed Margo-"

"Negan said he did it." Maya reminded her. "They're gonna believe the psycho did it over the guardian." Eleanor bit down on her lip to stop herself from talking. "Plus... she deserved it."

Eleanor looked over at Maya and frowned. She didn't want the girl to think like that. "Don't say that, Maya."

"What?" She squeaked. "It's true. She beat up Lydia... and then she fucked you up. I would've killed her if I was here-"

"Maya." Elle's voice was stern and laced with authority. Maya froze with the apple a centimetre away from her open mouth. "Killing someone isn't easy."

"I don't know... don't you just raise your knife-"

"Maya." Eleanor tried her hardest to shield Maya from the cold reality of the apocalypse but the older she got, the more intrigued and engrossed she got, meaning she was sent on more hunts and travels and spent a lot of time protecting people from walkers. But Maya has never killed a real person. And Elle vowed for her to never be put in that situation. "It isn't a game."

"I know, I know." Maya sighed and took a bite of her apple. "It's just that... when I got back, Negan told me what really happened and it's just," She frowned. "You're the only person I got, Ellie."

"And that ain't fucking true." Elle looked into the distance, focusing on nothing as she leant against the stone fence. "Plus you need to stop having these chit chats with Negan."

Maya made a pfft sound and lolled her head to look at Eleanor, the older woman doing the same thing. "Please, you can't say anything."

"Actually, I can say a lot of things."

She rolled her eyes. "Okay, but you can't tell me I can't speak to Negan. He lives with us!"

"Against my own will-"

"Uh, excuse me, aren't you too in love?"

Elle raised her brows and Maya grinned. "Pack. It. In."

"Oh, my names Eleanor and I'm in loveee with the guy who kidnapped me."

Eleanor gasped, shocked she said that. "I mean it, Maya."