five

11 pm.

Y/n.

"How are things with your parents?" I ask, both Ari and I sitting across one another now. I could see the hesitation in her eyes, avoiding my gaze briefly.

The air felt as if it grew tense, as each second passed, the silence taunting me. I knew it was never the easiest subject for Ari. Seeing as she eases up, bringing her attention back to me, her voice gentle.

"Why don't we talk about something that'll be more uplifting?" She counters, deflecting my question. I don't further question it. "Yeah? Like what?"

"Now that we're older, I assume you've moved out. Where do you live now?"

Going into depth, I begin my story of when I finally moved out of my parents.

***

two years ago.

"I can't wait to get out of here." i say eagerly, stuffing the last bit of clothes into my luggage. Twenty-two years of kissing ass finally over.

for the most part.

"You do realize that now because you're leaving, you won't be able to come back? The whole point of you staying, was to save up enough to be able to pay for your expenses." My mom says, watching me empty out my room, leaning against the doorframe.

She doesn't sound very cheerful.

"Yes mom, I know. I'll be okay. Ethan and I should have enough to keep us good for a few months." While my mother isn't very enthusiastic about the move, I couldn't be more excited.

Ethan and I were moving to New York, we decided it would be nicer to leave Florida and start off somewhere fresh.

He'd start his tattoo career, working at his uncle's studio, while I worked with him at the front desk. I know my writing career wasn't going to kick off anytime soon, so I'd have to look for an extra job.

"Thank god you're now leaving, I can finally take your room." I scoff at my little brother Lorenzo, shoving the luggage into his arms. "I know you'll miss me. Don't worry, I'll come during the holidays, to kick your ass at mario party."

He rolled his eyes, now taking my luggage to my car, leaving both my mother and I alone. As excited as I was to depart from my mom, it was just as hard to leave. Despite our differences, I still loved her.

Knowing as she feels the same, my heart ached at the sight of her glossy eyes, tears falling. Grasping her into a hug, I feel tears of my own fall down my cheek. "It's gonna be okay mom."

"I know, it's just always difficult to let your kids go. I wanted to keep you here for as long as I can." More of a reason why I have to go.

Before I could say anything more, my ringtone went off as Ethan called. "Hey, I'll meet you at your place in a few. I'm running a few errands before I leave."

"Sounds good to me, E. I'll see you soon." I hang up, bringing my attention back to my mom, seeing as she was now helping Lorenzo with my stuff.

"I appreciate you guys helping me with my stuff, but why don't we go out? It'll be my treat before I leave."

-