one

4 pm.

Victoria

"A little more to the lefttttt.. Nah now just a littleeee higher" I watch as Doug navigates the 'welcome home' sign above the entrance of the estate.

"Don't know why I let a gay man try and hang up a sign, it's still slanted." Doug scoffs in disbelief while I go over to help, straightening up the sign. "Court, check if it's straight."

Waiting for confirmation, I look at Courtney, eager for her answer.

"It needs to be lower." I groan in annoyance.

"Calm your tits, Vic. It's just a sign." Doug squeezes my shoulder, reassuringly. "Ariana is going to love this regardless."

"I know, I just wanted to make this perfect, and she's going to be here in a few hours. I'm not even sure if everyone is going to make it. Alexa, won't be here till tomorrow because her flight got delayed." I stress, while attending the sign once more before moving to the next task.

"Scott texted, and said he was bringing drinks for tonight, so he will be here. Liz should be with Daniella grabbing more decorations, and so far no one else has canceled. Everything's gonna be okay." Courtney says, easing my nerves.

"It's not a big deal. Plus, Ariana has not a clue about this, her and Aaron are out as we speak, getting the rest of her things for the house."

"What about Brian? Is he still on the way? He was supposed to come with the catering."

"All will be fine, Vic. Everyone will come unless stated otherwise. In the meantime, why don't we continue hanging up the streamers, yeah? Courtney will work on the balloons." Doug hands a roll of streamers to me, with a warm smile on his face.

"Why do I have to work on the balloons? My lungs are gonna pop rather than the balloons." Both Doug and I laugh. "Maybe that's a sign to quit vaping."

"You only live once."

•••
6:30 pm.

The air was thick with anticipation for the trio as they paced back and forth Ariana's new home, adding the remaining touches for the housewarming party. Balloons and streamers were sprawled all over the estate, with party hits playing in the background as everyone settled themselves in the living room.

While everything had looked perfect, there was something still keeping me on edge.

imessage

Vic | 6:32

Yo, Ariana is gonna be here
soon.

Vic | 6:32

You still able to come?

555-9876 | 6:36

Yeah, I'm on the way now.

555-9876 | 6:36

Are you sure this is
a good idea?

Vic | 6:36

Yes!

Vic | 6:36