————————————————

————————————————

"Yeah this is perfect, I'll take it," I said.

I had just moved back to my hometown of Chicago for a job opportunity, and I had finally found an apartment that I wanted.

I had been living on the east coast since I finished grad school a few years ago, but the perfect job had brought me back to the Midwest. I did love Chicago, but it already felt a little weird to be back.

Thankfully my family was still here, but other than that I didn't really have any friends that still lived in the area. I felt a little bit like a fish out of water.

I started signing the papers and taking care of everything for my apartment when my mom called.

"Hey Mom," I said.

"Hi! How's everything going with the apartment? Everything good?" She asked enthusiastically.

"Yup, all good, I'm actually just signing some papers right now so I should probably go and finish this up," I responded.

"Oh, okay well keep me updated and let me know if you need any help, okay?" She said.

"Will do, I'll talk to you soon."

We said our goodbyes and I went back to looking over the paperwork. I loved my mom to death but she definitely worried about me a little too much. I knew she was just being a good mom, but I hoped that living here again it wouldn't become too much.

I started at my new job tomorrow, so I wanted to get as much moving done today as I could. It had all been kind of a whirlwind, but the PR company that I was going to work for needed me to start quickly, and I didn't want to question it.

Once everything was signed and I had the keys to my new place, I began bringing boxes up. I had hired movers that were currently bringing my furniture into the apartment, but unfortunately the rest of it was on me.

I was on one of the higher floors of the complex, and thankfully there was an elevator, but it didn't make dragging the boxes to my door any easier. I was pushing my door open and trying to pull a pile of boxes in, when I heard someone walking down the hallway.

I glanced up quickly and saw a very handsome and very muscular man coming in my direction. He was most likely harmless, but being a young and single woman in Chicago didn't always feel like the safest position to be in.

I looked back down at the boxes in front of me and hoped that he would just ignore me and walk by, but I wasn't that lucky.

"Need help?" He asked as he came over and leaned against my door frame.

"Oh, I um - no I think - I'll be fine," I stuttered.

Clearly being shy and awkward were two of my strong qualities.

"Are you sure? No offense but you kind of look like you could use it," he said.

I hesitated for a moment and thought about the number of things that I still had to bring upstairs.

"I live right across the hall if that makes your stranger danger senses feel any better," he said with a grin.

"Yeah, I guess some help wouldn't hurt," I admitted.

Hopefully I didn't come to regret my decision, but by the looks of his muscles, he would make this much easier.

"Here, hold open the door," he said as he picked up the boxes with ease.

"Thanks, I appreciate it," I said.

"No problem," he said as he set my things down inside, "I'm Trevor by the way."

"Madison, nice to meet you," I said.

"You too," Trevor said, "what else you got to bring up? I'll go with you to grab it."

"You don't really have to - " I started.

"Don't worry about it, come on," he said as he waved his hand dismissively.

We walked back over to the elevator and stood in silence as we got in. I tried to keep a little bit of distance between us...just in case.

"So where did you move here from?" Trevor asked, breaking the silence.

"I'm from here originally, but I've been living out on the east coast for a while," I said.

"Got ya," he responded, "what brought you back?"

I still wasn't really sure how much information I should be sharing with this complete stranger, but I knew he was just trying to make small talk.

"I came back for a job offer, and my family is still here so that helped too," I said.

He nodded as the elevator reached the level of the parking garage, and we walked over to my car. I piled the rest of the boxes up in his arms and grabbed the remaining odds and ends.

We rode the elevator back up and got everything inside. I sighed and looked around, thinking about all of the work that I had ahead of me.

The movers had already brought my furniture up, and Trevor sat down on my couch and made himself comfortable.

I saw him glance down at his watch as I began organizing some of my things.

"Do you want to go grab something for dinner quick? My treat," he said.

Was my neighbor really trying to hit on me already, or was I imagining things? I mean, he was definitely very attractive, but we had literally met less than an hour ago.

"Umm," I said hesitantly, "I'm not really interested in that right now."

"Oh my gosh," Trevor said as he stood up from the couch, "I wasn't trying to ask you out or anything, I'm sorry. I don't swing that way."

"Oh," I said with a sigh of relief, "you don't?"

"No, definitely pretty gay," he said with a grin, "maybe I should've mentioned that earlier, my fault."

"No, no, I shouldn't have assumed you were trying to ask me out," I said awkwardly.

"Well hey," Trevor started, "you are gorgeous, just not exactly my type."

I felt my cheeks flush red in embarrassment at our misunderstanding, but at least I'd know he wasn't hitting on me now.

"Yeah...sorry about that," I said quietly, "and yes let's go get dinner."

"Perfect," he said, "one of my favorite places is just right around the corner."

I grabbed my purse off of the counter and we took off for dinner.

—————————————————-