Derek, unimpressed by her disrespect, countered firmly. "We've been more than just brothers to you, and you know that. This attitude won't fly. Fix it," he said, his voice unwavering in its sternness.

Mary's defiance faltered slightly, but she quickly regained her composure and retorted. "So, what? You're going to ground me?" she asked, her tone mocking.

Mark, his patience wearing thin, emphasized the seriousness of the situation. "It's not just about punishment, Mary. It's about understanding the gravity of your actions," he said, his voice low and serious.

But Mary's fury returned full force. "Ah yes, because McDreamy and McSteamy are known for being the perfect role models in the hospital - one fucks and marries an intern, and the other fucks every breathing thing. Seems to me you made it out just fine despite that," she shot back, her words laced with sarcasm and bitterness.

Derek, appalled by her words, commanded sternly. "You are out of control! Go to my study and wait for us. Might as well take the belt out of the closet while you're at it," he said, his voice cold and unyielding.

Mary, her attitude faltering at the mention of the belt, protested. "What? No way!" she exclaimed, her eyes wide with shock and fear.

"We will not repeat ourselves. Go!" Mark's firm voice echoed as Mary stormed off, slamming the study door behind her.

"What the hell was that about?" Derek asked, his tone a mix of disbelief and concern. He ran a hand through his hair, his worry evident.

Mark, his expression grave, replied. "She's getting out of control, Derek. Her disrespect..."

Derek nodded in agreement. "I know. We need to nip this in the bud. She's smart, talented, but this rebellious phase could ruin everything she's worked for," he said, his voice heavy with responsibility.

"Were you serious about the belt?" Mark questioned, his eyebrows raised in surprise.

Derek, with a nod, confirmed his intentions. "It has been too long, obviously," he said, his tone resolute.

As they stood there, the weight of their responsibility as guardians heavy upon them, Derek and Mark knew they had to find a way to guide Mary back on track, not just for her career, but for the unity and well-being of their family. The house, once a haven of peace, now echoed with the remnants of their heated exchange, a stark reminder of the challenges of parenthood and guardianship.

--

Derek and Mark entered the study with an air of solemnity that matched the seriousness of the situation. The room, usually a place of quiet reflection, was now the backdrop for a pivotal family confrontation. Mary sat in one of the leather chairs, her posture rigid, arms crossed in a defiant barrier. Her eyes, usually bright with youthful exuberance, now flashed with a mix of rebellion and apprehension.

As Derek moved towards the closet, the tension in the room escalated. Mary's gaze followed him, a trace of worry flickering in her eyes. The room was silent except for the soft creak of the leather and the faint rustle of Derek retrieving the belt. Mary's voice, tinged with a mix of fear and incredulity, broke the silence. "This is ridiculous! You can't—"

Mark, stepping forward, interjected with a firm but controlled tone. "Mary, this isn't a debate. You crossed a line. Both with the disrespect and with the weed."

Derek, holding the ominous belt, turned to face her. The sight of the belt triggered a visible reaction in Mary, a fleeting look of apprehension that she quickly masked with defiance. "I'm nineteen, not nine! You can't just—" she argued, her voice quivering slightly.

"This is not about age, this is about accountability. And respect - the way you spoke to us was horrendous. I know we raised you better than that," Mark said, his voice a mix of frustration and disappointment.