Chapter 34: Peter Pettigrew

"It's a trap! He's the trap! He's an animagus!" Ron shouts as soon as we see him, pointing behind us

"It's a trap! He's the trap! He's an animagus!" Ron shouts as soon as we see him, pointing behind us. I whip around and there, all raggedy and snarling, is the one and only, Sirius Black. Hermione immediately steps in front of Harry and I protectively.

"If you want to kill them, you'll have to kill us too!" She yells at him. Aww, I love you, Mione!

"No, only one will die tonight." says Black, in a raspy voice. Huh? One? Does that mean he only wants to kill Harry? Or he only wants to kill me?

"Then, it'll be you!" said Harry, flinging himself on top of the murderer as he choked him.

"Harry! No!" I said, stepping forward, but Ron held me back. I don't struggle, knowing that I can hurt Ron even more. Just then, Lupin appears in the doorway. He points his wand at Black and gestures at Harry to get off him. My brother gets off him and I quickly grab his arm, making sure that he can't do something like that again.

"Seems like the flesh finally reflects the madness within." says Lupin.

"You'll know all about the madness within, won't you, Remus?" says Black. Lupin hesitates, and then lowers his wand, helping him up. I stare. No way!

"He's right here! Let's kill him!" says Black, so crazily. Ok. So, they want Harry. I push my brother behind me.

"No! I trusted you! And all the while, you've been helping him... He's a werewolf! That's why he's been missing classes!" says Hermione, pointing at Lupin. I expected him to deny it.

"How long have you known?" He says, asking her.

"Since Snape set the essay," says Hermione. Now, thinking about it, all the signs are there, but I just never would have thought of it like that!

"Wow, Hermione, you really are the brightest witch of your age." says Lupin.

"Enough talk, Remus! Let's kill him!" says Black.

"Wait—" Lupin starts to say to him.

"I've done my waiting! 12 years of it! In Azkaban!" says Black, shouting at him as my hold on Harry got tighter. Lupin sighs and hands Black his wand.

"Alright, kill him. But wait one more minute. Harry and Mina have the right to know why." He says to him.

"We know why! You betrayed our parents!" said Harry, so shakily.

"No! Someone did betray your parents, but it was someone, until quite recently, I believed to be dead." says Lupin, talking to me and Harry.

"Who was it then?" I say, asking him.

"Peter Pettigrew!" says Black, shouting at him.

"But Pettigrew's dead." says me and Harry.

"Yes, I thought so too, until you mentioned seeing him on the map." says Lupin.