Prologue

"There's nothing I can do Mr. Salvatore. Your son is not meeting the expectations of Yancy Academy he needs to remain a student here. I'm sorry." The headmaster spoke to the boy's father.

Marcus Salvatore nodded, looking over to his son who, for once, was sitting still and quietly, staring out the window of the office, "I understand, thank you for your time. Let's go Theo."

Theo's head snapped to his father and nodded, grabbing his bag and following his dad to the car.

"I'm sorry." Theo started, "I know how much you wanted this to work, and I tried Dad. I swear I was trying my best, I thought I was keeping my mouth shut and trying to listen--"

"Hey." Marcus interrupted him, "I know. I know you were trying your best, that's all I can ask of you. Alright?"

Theo's eyes burned as he nodded and looked out the window. He wanted nothing more than to make it work, he knew his dad worked tirelessly to make sure his kids had nothing but the best in life and it worked for Chris and Eve, just, not for him.

"Are Chris and Eve home?" He asked his dad.

"Eve is, Chris went out for a couple hours, he'll be back for dinner." Marcus answered, giving his youngest a warm smile.

At least his sister would be there for him. She wouldn't ask questions as to why he was home early.

A sharp ringing filled the car, distracting Theo from his thoughts as his dad answered his phone.

"Hey, Sally, everything okay? Really? That's terrible, I'm sorry." His father spoke into his phone, glancing at Theo, "We can't. It's for you and Percy, we couldn't possibly intrude. Ah, I see. I can't, Chris isn't even home yet and Eve... I don't think she'd be able to do it. I can't."

There was a long pause as Sally spoke to him on the phone.

"Okay." His dad hung up the phone and parked the car in front of their apartment building before sighing and rubbing his eyes.

He looked over to Theo who was watching him with concern in his eyes, "Let's go see your sister, yeah?"

Silently, Theo nodded, a grin growing as he got out of the car and closer to his big sister. His concerns and worries for his father are moving to the back of his mind.

In the elevator, his dad turned to him, "Theo, you're going to be going with Sally and Percy for the weekend."

Startled and a bit hurt, Theo head snapped to his dad, "What? Why? With Gabe there?"

"No," His dad shook his head, "Definitely not with Gabe there, Sally is taking Percy to Montauk and she thought-- we agreed that it would be a good idea if she took you too."

Theo's eyebrows furrowed together, "Why?" He cleared his throat, "I thought Percy was still at Yancy."

"Percy got expelled today, right after you did, for um, attacking Nancy Bobofit."

Theo's eyebrows shot up, "Percy wouldn't do that, she annoys him-- me too, but he would never touch her."

"That's just why he was expelled, I don't know if that's the real reason or not, but once you get inside, pack a bag."

Theo stared down at his shoes and nodded as the elevator dinged, signaling their floor.

The father-son duo was silent as they walked to their door, Marcus unlocking it and opening it. Theo instantly felt warmer as he took in the paintings of doves on the wall, the clean carpet and the wooden furniture.

"Go ahead and get your things ready, I'm going to take you to Montauk with the Jackson's after we eat dinner. We need to have an important conversation before you leave."