New Family Dynamic : Part 8

A little ways through the village, Rotxo and Tsireya are in the infirmary. The Tsahík, Ronal, has just finished stitching up her son, and now lets him rest under a blanket.

When Lo'ak entered the village with Aonung hanging off his shoulder unconscious, her heart dropped so low she felt it in her stomach.

He neglected to tell her it was because of Neteyam, out of fear they might be kicked out for his actions. But when Kiri and Tsireya came up to him, he couldn't keep it from them. Especially not Tsireya, she deserved to know.

To ease her nerves, Ronal leaves the infirmary to go someplace peaceful. Breaking the news to her mate when he returns from his hunt will be a stressful ordeal all on its own.

Tsireya and Rotxo remain, looking over the one very important patient. His life isn't in danger, he simply needs rest and time to heal, but he'll likely feel pain in his neck every time it moves until it does. Words straight from the Tsahík's mouth.

In silence, Tsireya observes Rotxo, debating whether to tell him who hurt his best friend.

Rotxo- Did Lo'ak see who did this?

Tsireya- Uh, n-n- . . . Maybe.

Rotxo- You know, don't you?

Tsireya- (sighs) Yeah. I was just gonna tell you, but now I'm not so sure about that.

Rotxo- No need.

She gives him a confused look.

Rotxo- If you won't tell me, I'll find out.

He begins to stand from his spot next to her, but she pulls his arm back, attempting to keep him there. He snatches it away from her.

Rotxo- Don't fuckin' touch me right now.

She sits silently as he storms out of the den, radiating anger. She knows there's nothing she can do to stop him, so there's no point in trying any further.

Just outside the back of the infirmary, though, the culprit lurks. Peeking in to see Aonung's state, hoping to appease his inner guilt, but it fails.

Once he begins to question why he's there, he decides to leave. But rather than hide away in the trees, he returns to his den.

Once he makes his way there, he stands at the entrance and takes in the different atmosphere.

His father is awake but clearly out of it, silent as he eats the meal Kiri prepared for everyone. But his siblings are different from before. They seem happier.

Kiri sits next to Tuktirey, both giggling while Lo'ak makes a joke. They almost look whole again.

Feeling a bit drawn to their sudden change, he walks in, immediately gaining their attention.

Neteyam- Who pulled you guys outta the ditch?

He puts some food in a bowl for himself and walks up to them, but they don't answer.

Their eyes linger on him for another moment, before turning away and continuing their conversation as if he isn't there. His father does nothing, typical as of late.

Then he understands.

This new atmosphere, he isn't a part of it.

This new peace, it doesn't include him.

This new dynamic, it excludes him.

They found peace when they decided he was the problem. Now they'll act as if he doesn't even exist.

He scoffs, and throws his bowl of food aside.

Neteyam- So my point is proven.

His point being that his siblings don't care about anyone, specifically him. So with a shake of his head, he leaves.

From his perspective, this isn't his den anymore, and they aren't his family.