6

I stared off into space, my attention down at the bottom of the garden. Noticing the gate was open and unlocked. Ideal for my quick get away.

I really couldn't face walking back through that house and catching them playing loved up again. And i couldn't stick around for a second longer. My heart had taken just about enough rejection and humiliation for one night.

I needed a breather. A second. Becoming angered quickly. Not being able to switch my hatred thoughts off, or stop the jealousy oozing out of me.

What did she have that i didn't? She was pretty - granted. But everyone knew she had the personality of a dry cloth.

I pulled out my Mayfair cigarette packet, just as Matty toddled out of the back door. A smile quickly taking over his face as soon as he spotted me and headed over.

"Marlboro?" He offered. Already having his cigs in his hand with the box open. He pulled one up for me to take as i put mine back into my pocket.

I popped it into my mouth with a thankful nod, before lighting it for me and doing the same with his. He came to stand beside me, mirroring how i was stood with my back lent against the fence behind me. The closeness instantly made me feel uncomfortable. Which quickly annoyed me. And to make the matter worse, I kept catching him looking at me. Seeming to do it every time my eyes darted over in his direction. But i couldn't be arsed with calling him out. I wasn't in the mood for his flirty banter right at this moment in time.

"You not feeling it tonight?" He went in for small talk. His eyes now fixed on me. Which just made me feel even more irritated.

Was it really that obvious? To him, this guy i hardly know? Maybe so. But clearly not to the only person i wanted to realise and care.

I dodged his question. Knowing what i had to do to get George off of my mind. I knew it was the only way.

"Listen, you wanna catch a movie at mine?" I asked outright, making it clear i was changing the conversation completely. Not really caring about anything he had to say. I only had one thing on my mind. And that one thing i needed to get rid of. And i knew there was only one way to do that.

What's that saying again? - The best way to get over a guy, is to get under another. . .

"A movie?" He smirked. Like he could see through my thoughts. It was obvious he knew a film was the last thing on my mind. But i wasn't sure if he was going to turn me down or not. Or make me work for it. This was Matty Healy. The guy who seems to have a different girl each week.

I shrugged. Knowing deep down, i wasn't really arsed if he came or not. It's not like it would hurt my feelings if he rejected my offer. I wasn't even the slightest bit attracted to him. But i really fucking needed him to just go with it. For my own selfish sake. To stop me going insane about his best mate.

A grin grew across his face, "What, now?"

I knew what he was doing at this point. And playing the hard to get card, really didn't suit him.

"Jesus, what's with the 20 questions?" I snapped, but threw a fake giggle in straight after. Knowing I'd lose it on him and unleash my anger with the mood I'm in, if i hadn't.

He shrugged in response as he flicked his tab end across the garden, then turned his body to face me. "Didn't think i was your type? I mean, George reckons you like him. And he's more your type" He laughed awkwardly as he bunched his hair into his hand and volumized it again, throwing me what seemed to be a shy smile.

His comment caused me to scoff. But then i realised i was quickly back to square one - having him in my head again. After going a good 20 seconds without thinking of him. "I bet he does" i stated, purposely making it sound sarcastic.

"So, you do?"

Shit.

"I er-" I cleared my throat in a desperate attempt to quickly search for a lie to throw him. But my mind went blank altogether when a figure came into view from the corner of my eye. I didn't need to look to know it was George.

Fuck words. I didn't have any to say. And panic hit, having seen G.

My hand reached out, grabbing Matty's t-shirt in my hand. I yanked him towards me. Crashing my lips onto his. Praying he wouldn't push me away or reject me in front of our audience.

He didn't. Turns out, he was far more eager than i was.

And it turned out, that this was still to only make George jealous.

Re-opening my eyes, i could see he didn't stick around for the show. And i wasn't sure if i was annoyed or thankful for that. I pulled away from Matty, not wanting to play along for a second more than i had to. Aware i was already comparing the both of them in my head.

And Matty didn't come close.

"So-" Matty started. But my attention was back on George. Spotting him inside the kitchen near the door. But his gaze wasn't anywhere near this direction. It was clear I'd pissed him off, as he constantly re-filled his cup with vodka and continued to neck the shots. "You wanna go catch that movie?" He asked cockily. Bringing that agitation crashing back into me.

My brows dropped in confusion, "What?" I spat, my mind now hazed and not paying the slightest bit of attention.

"The movie. You said you wanted to-"

"Oh, er-" No, you don't. The voice in my head snapped at me in a demanding tone.

I think I'd done enough damage for one night. I need to leave. And alone. In fear I could lose George altogether after that. What the hell was i thinking?

Fuck.

"I'm a little busy tonight. Maybe some other time."