Chapter 10: Holding on

Aang groaned as he regained conciousness. He had a splitting headache and was seeing two of everything. He sat up, wincing in pain, as he stared at the floor till his vision righted itself. He could feel cold metal beneath his feet as his core ached. 

He clutched his abdomen as he muttered, "What happened?"

He looked up, only to have a fiery, crimson colour stare back at him, looking through his soul. His head swiveled around as panic arose. The Fire Nation tapestries only fueling his worst fears to life. They seemed to laugh and mock at his failure and presumed capture. 

"Oh no!" He exclaimed, clutching the sheets of the bed.

Scrambling to his feet, he sought out his glider, pain shooting up from his feet, up his spine and throughout his entire being. Ignoring the pain he peeked out the door, ensuring no one stood guard. He made his way out, hobbling down a cold, dark, damp corridor. Just as he made to turn he heard voices. 

"Do you hear something," a deep voice spoke.

Eyes wide with fear, he flattened himself against the wall, breathing hard. Brows furrowed, he stepped out, sending a gush of wind with a mighty sweep of his staff. 

He started running the other way, stumbling as he heard them exclaim, "He's awake!"

Panting deeply, he doubled over, though he regained his footing as they yelled, "Stop! Wait!"

He had to get out of here, he was tiring quickly and his body was in too much pain. He half-crawled, half-climbed the stairs, making it to the top just as his legs gave away.

Aang fell hard. Clutching his middle, he reached for his glider, making to run when he saw something peculiar.

"Momo?" he questioned.

The little creature turned from where it had been receiving attention from a man clad in Fire Nation armor. 

Momo jumped onto Aang and licked his face as he heard Toph exclaim, "Twinkle-toes! That's gotta be you!"

He looked up to see Toph and Katara run towards him, enveloping him in a tight hug. Another in Fire Nation uniform joined in as Aang gasped in pain. 

They stepped back as the guy spoke, "Sorry, did we hurt you?"

"Sokka?" Aang questioned, rubbing his eyes, "Am I dreaming?"

He looked to Katara who was beaming at him, tears brimming in her eyes. He lifted his hand just as his body gave up due to all the fatigue and running around.

"Oh no somebody catch him! He's gonna-" Toph called out as all went dark.

------------------------------------------

The Moon glowed bright despite the relentless clouds doing their best to cover it up. Not giving up on its purity and wanting to brighten up the somber world. Was Princess Yue trying to tell him something? Or was it just his mind convincing him that what he did was right. 

Zuko stood still on the balcony as the breeze tugged at his clothes and hair. Warm despite the cool night. 

"Aren't you feeling cold?" Mai's voice rang through the air as Zuko kept staring into the horizon, undisturbed.

"I've got a lot on my mind. It's been so long. After three long years, I am finally back. It's almost surreal," he looked down at palace, at the walls behind which stood the city, "I wonder what has changed. I wonder how I've changed."

Mai feigned a yawn as she said, "I just asked if you're cold, not your whole life story."

Zuko looked away. Unable to keep the fact away that if it were Katara or his Uncle, both would have lent him an ear. Scratch that. They would have gone further as to understand and console him. He closed his eyes in an attempt to keep the recent happenings out of his mind.

He felt Mai approach him. She placed an arm around him, turning his face to look at hers with her other. 

"Stop worrying," she said, as she kissed him. It didn't feel the same.

Mai didn't notice that he pulled away first this time, already walking away, leaving Zuko to be tormented by his newfound emotions.

------------------------------------------

"Why are we on a Fire Nation ship? Why is everyone dressed this way? And why am I the only one who is left out of it?" Aang pestered Katara.

"You need to take it easy," she replied, handing him a glass of water, "Drink."

"You got hurt pretty bad, you need to relax a bit," she replied, "Besides, I like your hair."

Katara didn't want to consider the fact that it reminded her of Zuko's freshly frown hair back in the catacombs. It had also been spiky, though in much better condition than Aang's. She frowned. Why on Earth was she thinking about that bastard?! What was wrong with her? 

"I have hair!" Aang exclaimed in shock, pulling her from her thoughts as he groped his head, "How long was I out?!"

"A few weeks."

"Everything okay?" A man asked, walking up to them.

"Everything is fine dad." Katara replied, turning away.

"Hi, my name is Hakoda. Katara and Sokka's father," he introduced himself, holding out an arm.

Just as Aang reached for it, she pulled him away, "He knows who you are! I just called you dad!"

Aang look at her perplexed. This wasn't like the Katara he knew. 

"I see..." her father muttered. 

Aang put her hand down considerately before turning to Hakoda and offering him his greetings, smiling apologetically. He gave him a hearty shake, though there was sadness hidden in his eyes.

"Yeah yeah fine. Now that you introduced yourself, would you mind giving us some privacy," Katara snapped. 

"Yes, of course," he replied, smiling sadly before he assumed his stoic expression. A hard, unfeeling leader, as he walked away.

"Are you mad at your father?" 

"I dunno, why would you say that?" She bit back harshly. 

Aang made to say something but bent over as a sudden burst of pain went through him. 

"Come. You need a healing session." Katara said, half glad she didn't have to talk about her complicated feelings. 

During the healing session Aang figured out what had truly happened to him and looked at her with profound ardour. Katara didn't know how or what she felt about the gleam of awe in his eyes.

-----------------------------------

"Your Princess Azula! Clever and beatiful, disguised herself as the enemy and entered the Earth Kingdom Capital," The withered crone announced aloud.

"In Ba Sing Se, she found her brother Zuko and together they faced the Avatar," her twin continued.

They joined their voices as they exclaimed aloud, "And the Avatar fell, and the Earth Kingdom fell!"

The older one took over, "Azula's agents quickly overtook the entire city. They went to Ba Sing Se's Great Walls..."

"And brought them down!"

They went on, narrating the entire tale. Making it seem greater and more just than it had truly been.

"Now the great heroes have returned, Your Princess Azula!" 

Cheers rang through the crowd as Azula stepped forward, basking in her glory.

"And after three long years, your Prince has returned."

The crones exclaimed together, "Zuko!"

He walked out in his Fire Nation regalia, his hair pulled up in a top knot. With a solemn expression, he made his way out to face the crowd, who cheered just as loudly as they had for his sister. It was sickening how people could want other people to meet such a cruel fate. Yet, now was not the time.

Zuko lifted his head up high as the Fire Nation welcomed back their Prince with great vigor, unknowing of the past and unknowing of the future.