Chapter 8: The Crossroads of Destiny

A mixed flurry of emotions. This is what both individuals felt rise inside of them. Their minds screamed at them, telling them to stop but they were unable to pull away from each other. They were consumed by each other's smell and touch, wanting more of it. They knew this was wrong, absolutely, terrifyingly wrong. But then how could something so wrong feel so very good? 

       Zuko didn't know what had compelled him to kiss her, but right now he couldn't care any less. All he could think about was getting as close to her as he could. Now then, he couldn't exactly lie and state that the kiss had started out slow and sweet, because that was definitely not what had happened.

       The moment Zuko had pressed his lips against hers, he had not meant for it to develop into anything else. Agni, he had not even meant to kiss her, but all of a sudden it was as if someone had glued their lips together making it almost impossible to pull back. Katara's eyes had widened in shock and it had taken her a moment or so to process what was going on. 

The first few seconds she had stood still as her body was paralyzed and her mind was unable to comprehend the happenings of the present. All at once the sharp smell of spices mixed with the earthy smell of tea hit her, only then was she able to move. She placed her hands on his chest, his sturdy, sculpted chest, and stopped. It felt like she was chi-blocked by Ty Lee all over again as she tried with all her might to use her arms to push him away, but closed her eyes as she gave in to his warm lips.

        Katara couldn't believe how soft the firebender's mouth felt, her hands travelling from his chest to settle at the back of his neck, as her fingers locked on to his newly grown, ebony hair. Zuko's arm slid down her side to rest at her waist as the other went up to cup her cheek. Unbeknownst to him, his feathery touches left behind warm trails down Katara's side as she  grasped at his hair. Zuko let out a soft growl which pushed Katara into a frenzy. Kissing her was addictive and Zuko couldn't seem to get enough of her. 

"What-" Katara breathed before Zuko caught her lips again, "What are we doing?" 

"Honestly," he kissed her again as she hummed softly, "I have no clue."

"We shouldn't be doing this," she whispered in his ear as he lightly brushed his lips against her jaw, resulting in a sharp intake of breath from Katara. 

"Oh?" he questioned, pulling her flush against him, their breaths mixing as he abruptly halted and whispered against her lips, "But we are."

And Katara rapidly closed the gap between them, the container of Spirit Water forgotten and dangling from her fingers.

------------------------------------

        Toph was in shock. In utter, traumatizing, jarring shock. The said shock had now left her paralyzed, her eyes staring at nothing (which they always did) and her mouth slightly ajar. Even Sokka's attempts at trying to get her out of it didn't work...but that was probably because he was waving his arm in front of her beautiful, gray-green, blind eyes. 

"-ph, -oph, Toph? TOPH!" Sokka exclaimed.

"What?" she snapped, causing Sokka to fall back with an 'Oof'. 

"You had zoned out, staring into nothing."

"I always stare into nothing, Sokka," she deadpanned.

"Oh, right," he flubbed, "But you were also gaping at nothing," he pointed out.

"I was not."

"You were."

"Will you guys stop fighting and let us be imprisoned in peace?" King Kuei interrupted, causing them to quiet down.