*****

Waiting patiently in her seat for Jisoo to arrive, Jennie twisted her engagement ring around her finger. She'd never seen something so beautiful and wondered what kind of a ring Lisa would have bought for the woman she really loved. It shimmered in the dim light of the visitor's room of the Daegu Holding Facility.

She picked up the phone when her sister sat down across from her. "Hi," Jennie greeted. "How's it going?"

"Right as rain, whatever that means," Jisoo replied. "Itching to get the hell out of here. How are things back at the old homestead? Surviving without me?"

"Barely. We need you home soon."

Jisoo nodded. "That new lawyer you hired for me is doing her best, I'm sure. Where did you find her, Gorgeous R Us?" she joked, trying to keep the atmosphere light.

Jennie laughed. "She was a guest lecturer in one of my classes last year. I asked my professor where I could get in contact with her. Do you really think she's gorgeous?"

"Hell yeah. If that conference room wasn't hooked up with a camera in the corner, I would have jumped her in a heartbeat." She paused for a moment, noticing for the first time the ring her sister wore. "Jen, where in the world did you get that rock?"

She glanced down at the ring she wore. "It's...it's a long story I'd rather not get into right now."

Jisoo just glared at her. "Come on, don't leave me in suspense here. It'll drive me nuts until you tell me, and considering all I'm doing all day is sitting in a small, cold cell all by myself, I need some happy thoughts. If some guy gave you a ring, I want details."

"Okay," the blonde relented. "The ring is from Lisa."

"Pretty lawyer Lisa?"

Jennie nodded. "One in the same."

"Why did she give you a diamond ring the size of Jeju Island?"

"Because she asked me to marry her last night. And I accepted," she told her sister.

The brunette prisoner couldn't speak for nearly a minute; she needed to let it all sink in. "Let me get this straight, Jen. You've known her four days and you are accepting marriage proposals from her? Something's wrong here." 'Very wrong,' she thought. 'Usually when Jennie is happy, she gets this glow around her. She's glow-free. Something is definitely not right.'

"Everything is fine. I'll explain it some other time."

"No, you'll explain it right now. Jennie, I've known you half my life; you aren't the type of girl who marries a woman she's known less than a week. God, you refused to even sleep with a guy you'd dated for six months. You're the last of the true romantics. Now, what the hell is going on? And don't lie to me, either."

The younger sister sighed. "If I tell you, you have to promise not to say anything to anyone. Especially to Ella."

"Who am I going to tell? Please. Spill it."

"Okay." Jennie took a deep breath. "I asked Lisa to represent you; you needed the best lawyer money could buy. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough to pay her. I told her that and offered to work off the fee by helping out at her office. she had a better idea. I marry her for three years and we call it even.

"It's not as bad as it sounds. See, she needs to get married by March in order to get her inheritance. And it all worked out. Lisa gets a wife for three years and you get the best lawyer in South ​Korea defending you. It's a win-win situation."

Jisoo closed her eyes and shook her head. "I can't believe you would prostitute yourself just to get me a good lawyer. What would Mom and Dad think?" she asked.