I

Cicely

"You still up?"

In the stillness of the night, Cicely's fingers hover across the send icon of her phone. Her heart heavy with longing, she hesitated before pressing send. Until the message remained unspoken, trapped in the depths of her device.

For months, Cicely had been sending unsent messages to Euna, her heart aching with every unspoken word. They haven't seen each other in a year and haven't spoken for months.
They had loved each other once, deeply and completely, but fate had conspired against them. Now, all that remained were these messages, a testament to a love that could never be.

She closed her eyes and let her mind drift back to the moments they had shared. The way her eyes would light up when she walked into a room. The way her hand would brush hers in passing. The way her heart would skip a beat whenever she smiled at her.

But as quickly as these memories came, they faded away, leaving Cicely with nothing but a hollow ache in her chest. She knew that Euna had moved on now, and that knowledge only made her love for her grow stronger.

With a sigh, Cicely picked up her phone once more and navigated to the Unsent Project website. She had heard about it from a friend, and it seemed like the perfect place to share her messages to Euna without actually sending them.

She typed out another message, this one more desperate than the last. 'I wonder if somewhere deep down, you still love me.'

Cicely hit send, and the message disappeared into the ether once more. She closed her eyes and let herself sink into the darkness, hoping that somewhere out there, Euna was reading her words and feeling the same way she did. But deep down, she knew that was just a dream.

But a girl can dream right?