Chapter 4 - Solitude

3 years later. Abela has been growing well, yet she was a bit skinny from the lack of food. She learned how to walk and speak, the first words Abela said were "Thank you." and she never failed to express her gratitude every day to Querdia and Idella who had been by her side. 

Throughout these years, Abela had grown accustomed to the neglect her parents gave her, after all, she was used to being mistreated even in her past life. Idella would often leave the windows open to keep fresh air in, and it just so happens that  The maids would gossip out loud, and would be audible from the window. 

Countess Dianne and Earl Hardy had been long in love with one another, they didn't want any children, because they thought a child was costly and a hindrance. However, due to the pressure and social norms of the society, they had no choice but to bear a child. Querdia was their only planned child, and they would give her small attention and would immediately go back to being lovey-dovey as a couple. Since love was always blooming, it was no surprise a second child would appear, but this was unplanned, which enraged them. The Countess and The Earl would never blame each other, so they immediately point fingers at Abela. 

Abela had begun to outgrow her crib, upon many considerations, Querdia had decided to bring it up to her parents, since there had been no bad incidents lately. 

"My Lady, you have grown to be such a kind and brave girl. I couldn't be more proud." Idella smiled as she pat Querdia's head, who sheepishly smiled. "Oh please, I'm only 8, hehe!" With Querdia's confidence boosted, she went up to her mother's quarters. After taking a deep breath she knocked on the door. "Come in." A voice came from the other side. 

Querdia opened the door, slowly stepping in. She bowed, "Good afternoon mother." Countess Dianne did not bat an eye and kept reading her book as she sat on the couch. "What is it?"

"W-well... Abela is already 3, and she's getting taller. I think it's best if she gets a proper bed." Querdia hesitantly said, her confidence faltering seeing her mother's unchanging face. "What did you say?" Her voice turned serious.

"Abela's getting older and..-" Querdia was cut off by Countess Dianne shutting her book with force. Without a single word, Countess Dianne marched out of the room calling several maids behind her. They slam the door open in Abela's room, in which Idella was playing with her on the floor. Their time was disrupted with the countess marching in grabbing Abela's small arms. 

"You want a new room, right? Good, stay somewhere I won't see you." Countess Dianne said, dragging Abela harshly out of the room. Idella quickly tried to stop her, but the Countess glanced back with an angered expression. "You dare disobey me? You are fired! Get out! If you dare do anything I will harm this child you are trying to protect." She said in a harsh tone, as Idella was left there, utterly heartbroken by the situation. Querida also tried to stop her mother but was pushed back. "Send this girl to her room, and lock it." The countess ordered the maids as she continued to drag Abela upstairs.

At the mansion's attic, the countess threw Abela in and shut the door lock. Abela sat there on the dirty floor,  lifting her hands covered in dust. The room exudes an air of dust, with its walls lacking any vibrant wallpaper. There was a plain bed, barely standing. There were multiple bookshelves, filled with books, all of which had turned gray due to the dust. A wooden table and chair stand that would provide a functional workspace. Nearby, a small area is dedicated to plain clothing, and some old and worn-out clothes were arranged... There was only one window beside the bed, and a small light emitting just the right amount to make things visible. There were no mirrors, just the atmosphere of a quiet, and dead room.

Abela's mind was all jumbled, she couldn't process what had just happened. The satisfaction of having Querdia and Idella by her side was enough, but it seemed it was taken away from her in a flash. No tear could be shed. There was only a heavy heart and a child locked in solitude.