『Chapter 1 - Prologue』

I rode the bus to school, bobbing and shaking in my seat.

While I looked idly out my window, watching the city's scenery change, the bus picked up more and more passengers. I was fortunate to have found a seat, contrary to the people that came after me. It quickly became crowded, to the point that I neglected the unfortunate standing elderly woman.

Ours eyes met for a moment as she made a gentle smile, which I eventually ignored and returned my gaze to the window.

I wasn't sure that this reaction was appropriate, but I had more pressing matters to worry about.

I couldn't care less about small things, even if I wanted to. At least, not when I was nearing a huge turning point in my life. Today was a very special day for me, because it marked the start of my new life, one with no obligations to do anything I didn't desire.

I was free, just like I always wanted to be.

Those were my honest thoughts as I observed the changing scenery. The weather was especially fine today, I couldn't find even a single cloud in the sky. It's been a while since I witnessed such a day. As a totally normal and average person, this seemed like the perfect opportunity to describe the term 'refreshing.' 

However, just as I thought so, my gentle respite was promptly obliterated.

"Excuse me, but shouldn't you offer up your seat?"

A young female worker, probably in her last twenty, addressed one of the students sitting down in one of the priority seats. Her voice carried quite well throughout the quiet bus, attracting several people's attention. She seemed to ask a certain individual to offer up his seat for the old women.

Curious, I silently stared after I confirmed that others were staring, too. I was still unaware of how arguments were held up, nor had any idea of the unspoken rules of society, so I was glad that she didn't deliver that absurd question to me. Lest I would be labeled as a weirdo or a freak on my very first day of freedom. I would be forced to perform a silent retreat if that was the case.

It was also the perfect chance to upgrade my understanding in this unfamiliar area, which was by no means my field of expertise.

With that goal in mind, I carefully observed the situation unfolding in front of me from the sidelines. The office lady was talking to a striking young woman with almost entire white hair coupled with a peculiar pair of red eyes, and was covered in an air of royalty. If it weren't for her clothes, one wouldn't have guessed that she was a student. Both her posture and her aura indicated maturity beyond her age. She truly had a majestic presence.

She was deeply engrossed in a book, seemingly unaware of the commotion around her.

"Hey, I'm talk—"

"I heard you just fine the first time. No need to repeat that, Child," the girl replied without looking up. It was clear she was ignoring the office worker deliberately. The word 'child' dripped with condescension. The office women was momentarily speechless, and so were the rest of us. The whole bus was staring at the young woman, doubting what they just heard.

This doesn't seem to be how things ought to be going normally...

"W-what did you just call me?"

"A Child," she said calmly, flipping a page as if nothing had happened. I wondered if her book was more interesting than the unfolding drama.

The tension on the bus thickened as the office worker struggled to respond. The other passengers shifted uncomfortably, unsure how to react.

"How dare you?! You... You can't call me that! I'm your superior here!" she stammered, her cheeks flushing with a mix of embarrassment and indignation.

"Why not? It's an accurate description, isn't it?" The girl's tone remained composed, her red eyes steady on the office worker. The office worker looked around, seeking support from the other passengers, but found only awkward glances and uneasy silence. "You seem to think your job title grants you authority over others, but you are merely older than me, which is hardly a thing to brag about for a women," the girl continued, her voice calm but firm. "And as a side note, respect is earned, not demanded."