18 - Sins of the past

Start from the beginning

Laughing nervously, I relaxed as much as possible in the hospital chair before rephrasing the question.

"At first, Jaune was just a random guy to me, a clueless idiot with zero training wanting to be a Hunter, it was even hilarious to see everyone wiping the floor with him in Goodwitch's fights."

"Hmm." Grumbles Nikos with a stern face.

Crap! It is important for me to remember what Blake told me, "Don't insult her husbando".

"Then out of nowhere, he starts improving like crazy! I know he had extra training with you and two professors, but it's still insane that he's already caught up to the rest of the class."

'In terms of fighting and experience, he still had a long way to go, but in physical aptitude, Aura quality, and density, he was already at the level of a Beacon applicant.' I thought to myself, staring at the redhead.

"Even before his victory against Cardin, it was a pain to defeat him, not just because of the shield, but his Aura is huge." Raising my voice dramatically, I sat on the edge of the armchair. "And that Semblance combined with his big head? He could dominate the world!"

Unable to control herself, Pyrrha burst into laughter instantly. In response, I crossed my arms and glared at the redhead, annoyed by her reaction.

"I'm serious." I affirm in a dry tone.

"That's why it's funny." Replies the redhead, laughing melodiously. "Jaune Arc, evil mastermind?"

I shrugged in response.

"The same Jaune Arc whose pants got burned when he forgot a fire Dust crystal in his pocket?"

I began to deflate in the armchair with each of her responses.

"He-he, I forgot about that."

"The same Jaune who scared off that dog that had chased Blake and then helped her out of the tree?"

"Well..."

"The same Jaune who broke curfew and accepted the punishment without complaining to buy medicine for Ruby's flu?"

"Hmm." I grumble, unable to counter her.

"The same Jaune who had every right in the world to send that creep Cardin Winchester to jail without anyone judging or questioning him, yet he chose to have a civil conversation with him?"

"Okay!" I exclaim, hands raised in defeat. "The guy has a heart of gold! But that doesn't answer my question!"

Pyrrha's laughter gradually subsides, and she wiped away a tear from the corner of her eye.

"From what I know about Jaune, he's very determined when he puts his mind to something. He is kind and a good leader, despite his initial lack of skills. He might not be the strongest, fastest, or most talented, but he is relentless and inspires those around him to do their best."

Sighing, I leaned back on the armchair, processing what she said.

"Is there something else you want to know?" The redhead asks, genuinely curious.

Closing my eyes and scratching my head, I contemplate asking what was really bugging me.

"What about you? How do you feel about him?"

Opening her eyes wide, Pyrrha blushes intensely, making me regret the question immediately.

"Why do you ask?" She inquires, her voice a bit higher than usual.

"Curiosity." I lie, trying not to make it weirder.

The atmosphere in the infirmary suddenly became tense, making me regret asking that question.