34. Blood and Betrayal

Patrizio's Point of View

The dawn crept up the sky like a cat ready to attack its prey. The warm rays of sunlight pierced through the clouds and forced their way into my window. I prefer the darkness because it gave me a reason to hide, but now, morning has come; My first day as Don of two powerful families.

I didn't sleep a wink after the event that happened last night when I usurped my parents' power over the cosa nostra. I must be the most hated man in Italy at this moment but I don't care. Now I understand how men in power must feel.

I can endure everyone's hatred, but not when it comes from Veronica and my children. maybe that's why I am happy that she isn't here to witness me turn into this monster. She would hate me for going deeper into this world and for becoming its leader. Some things are best left unsaid if I want to keep the woman I love.

Someone knocked lightly on the door and I answered, "Come on in"

Leo walked in and stood in front of me. "It is time." He spoke in his usual monotone voice.

I got up from my seat and strode out the door with him right behind me. I headed to the floor downstairs which I like to call the dungeon. Unlike its name, the rooms look nothing like a dungeon. They are well furnished, sometimes with a TV but not with a telephone or anything to communicate with the outside world. This is where I had my parents locked in BUT in separate rooms. I should know better than to keep those two in the same place... even at their old age, together they are a force to reckon with.

The man guarding Mia Madre's room unlocked the door and held it open for me to enter.

I stepped in to find her sitting on the floor beside the bed. The bed covers had been torn to shreds and the pillows were thrown haphazardly on the floor in a fit of rage. I expected nothing less from a woman scorned, from the outside Bianca Moretti was a Saint, but only our family knew how dangerous she can be. I hate to admit it, but I knew it was only a matter of time until she killed someone and tried to escape.

I locked the door, Leo had stayed outside so it was just the two of us. "I thought I'd give you a moment to cool off." I walked to the other end of the room and opened the curtains so sunlight could enter. "I made this place as comfortable as possible. You should sleep—"

She shot up from the floor and pointed a finger in my face. "I curse the day I gave birth to you, Patrizio! Sei un bambino maledetto!"

I stood in my spot as though my feet were nailed to the floor underneath. "You have always said that to me, I'm used to it by now."

I walked over to the wardrobe and picked up a new set of bedcovers, then I returned to the bed and began arranging it. When I was done making the bed, I picked up the torn old bedsheet from the floor.

Out of the blue, she started laughing.

"What is so funny, Bianca?" I asked her, but she ignored me and continued to snicker. I stood watching her, wondering if she had gone insane.

After laughing for almost five minutes, she wiped off the tears at the corner of her eyes and looked at me. "I used to feel sorry for you, Patrizio, but not anymore. You deserve everything they did to you."

I furrowed my brows. "What is that supposed to mean?"

She shrugged, but I could see in her eyes that she wanted to tell me something important, but what is it?

I waved off her antics and said what I came to say, "Well, just so you know, I found your granddaughter."

"What granddaughter?"