Chapter 2: Rise of the prince

Snowheart looks after his little sister while their parents, Glacier and Frostbite focus on their duties as Queen and King.

It had been 2 and a half years when Glacier's second dragonet came out of her egg, of course, this was Princess Crystal, Glacier's eldest daughter, and second eldest child. Glacier studied her daughter, the first thing that stood out was Crystal's vibrant blue eyes, which were extremely rare in Icewings. King Frostbite was in a council meeting, having taken over chores so his wife could have a bit of special time with Snowheart and little Crystal.

"Mother, is this my new sister that recently hatched?" Snowheart asked, tilting his head while he circled the smaller female hatchling, who reached out with her forepaws, wanting a hug from Snowheart. Seeing this, Snowheart curled around his sister, nuzzling into her while she hugged him tightly.

"Yes Snowheart, this is Crystal, your sister, I expect you to be an excellent role model for her... do you understand?" Glacier said with authority in her voice, to which Snowheart looked up at his mother and nodded. "Of course Mother, it is the Icewing way to be a role model after all" He gave his mother a toothy grin, to which Glacier gave a warm smile back. That was until someone knocked loudly on her bedroom door three times. This startled Crystal, making her lower lip tremble as the loud sound had scared her, which infuriated Glacier. (How dare they scare my baby girl!) Glacier thought to herself, getting up from her half-moon curled position, and marching over to the double doors while huffing frostbreath from her maw, claws clicking against the icy floor before grabbing hold of the handle, swinging them open to show her angry expression to the three guards.

By now Crystal was in tears, hiccuping while Snowheart hugged her, letting his sister cuddle into his embrace, he began to hum the same tune that Glacier had hummed to him to calm him down, this instantly affected Crystal as she stopped crying, yet tears still streamed down her face as she buried her snout into her brother's chest while Glacier was ripping into the guard who had knocked loudly on the doors.

"What do you want! If you stupid guards can't respect me and my family, I'll exile you!" Snowheart winced at his mother's rage, covering Crystal with his wings to shield her while he continued to hum the tune to her.

"My apologies Your Majesty, but King Frostbite has asked for your help in some serious matters" The guards bowed to Queen Glacier. Looking back at Snowheart and Crystal, biting her bottom lip before asking. "Will you two be okay?" Her tail swished about while she shifted her wings slightly, and the earrings she wore clinked against her scales.

Snowheart's eyes lit up with warmth and tenderness as he gazed at his mother. He held Crystal close to his chest, her tiny body curled into a ball in a deep slumber. The sound of her soft snores filled the air, adding to the tranquillity of the moment. Snowheart's love and care for Crystal radiated from his gentle touch and the serene expression on her face.

"We'll be fine mother, I'll look after my little sister" Snowheart reassured Glacier, who was hesitant to leave the room, letting out a sigh before turning to follow the guards, following them down the hallway towards the large meeting room that had been going on for some time. She let out another sigh, knowing that this was going to be a long meeting.

Upon entering the large council room, Frostbite was arguing with a few of the council members about where they should station their military forces on the border situated between the Ice and Sand kingdoms.

"That is absurd Your Majesty! Putting our whole army on the border leaves our coastal areas open to possible Seawing attacks!" Snowstorm complained, slapping a forepaw down upon the large circular table.