Birthday Part 3: Dinner

The gentle chime of a notification stole your attention as you tapped away on your phone, looking for inspiration. Allegedly, Sana had your gift waiting back at her apartment. It was a bit reassuring to know she didn't actually forget your existence, but you still had one stop to make first before addressing your irrational worries.

As soon as you entered Nayeon and Momo's apartment, your nose was pleasantly surprised by those delectable fumes that you knew all too well. The smell intensified as you moved further inside the flat, forcing your mouth to water.

"This smells absolutely divine," you announced as you finally walked up to the kitchen where you found Momo juggling multiple pans. She dropped the little wooden utensil she was stirring with into a pot and turned on her heels.

"You made it," she cheered while launching her arms to the roof. "Happy birthday!"

Without hesitation you stepped up to her, hugging her tightly and lifting her off her feet.

"Of course I made it," you spun her around playfully, relishing in the joyful squeals escaping her mouth. "Is there anything I can help you with?" you mumbled into her shoulder, just now taking in the sweet perfume she wore as your nose pressed into her, swaying back and forth with her in your arms.

"You could start by letting me down," she answered pragmatically.

"I don't want to," you whined as you put her down carefully. "Really though, need help?"

"Nope!" she replied cheerily while turning back to the pot and resuming her stirring. "Actually, go ahead and set the table, it's almost ready."

Ignoring her suggestion, you stepped up behind her and wrapped your arms around her waist, resting your chin on her shoulder.

"What if I'd rather just hold you?"

"That's fine," she giggled. "It's your birthday after all, but I do need you to pass me that spoon then."

After giving her a quick kiss on the cheek, you let go of her and handed her the spoon before leaning against the countertop.

"Where's Nayeon? Wasn't she supposed to be back by now?" you asked, watching as Momo worked.

"She said to eat without her, she's running late," Momo replied, her cheery demeanor disappearing for a brief moment before returning as she held a spoonful of broth up for you to taste. "Poor girl is working late every night it feels like."

"I know, I kinda felt bad taking the day off, but she insisted," you leaned forward and opened your mouth. "Mmm," you gasped as the hot broth entered your mouth, nearly burning your tongue. "That's delicious, way spicier than I expected."

"You like spicy," Momo smiled proudly to herself, turning back to the pot. "Don't feel bad, you've been with her every single day, she'll survive one without you."

"Of course she'll survive, I just want to make sure she has support."

"She has a lot of support, stop worrying," Momo said as she turned off the burner. "What about you and Sana? How does she feel about you spending almost all your time with Nayeon?"

"She understands."

"Does she understand even when you're too tired to go back home and end up spending the night here?" Momo continued, pulling dishes out of the cabinet as she spoke.

"She... did she say something to you?" you asked while accepting the two bowls Momo handed you. "Where's this coming from?"

"It's nothing like that," Momo clarified, leaning over and pecking you on the cheek. "I'm just asking. In case you forgot, Sana is one of my best friends"