16: Durnehviir Visits

Rhaegar  did not completely believe her. He did not understand why she could not give him the whole account of her former life.

He did not understand that she does not trust so easily. 

He did not believe her able to vanquish a dragon.

He wanted so much from her because  of his unreasonable jealousy.

She gave him the words of their House to send him in the right way to hatch an egg, but he listened not. It frustrated her so.

Dragon mothers had always hatched their children by breathing fire on them on occasion,  using the blood of their enemies to nourish the growing dragonlings inside the eggs.

Her family used to practice  it of sorts, bloodying eggs and then placing them on funeral pyres, or in a hearth. Or, if there was a truly deep connection between beast and man, the eggs hatched in the cradle of Targaryen babes.

Her own babe would have one. She would  choose it from the eggs in that hidden room. Or Rhaegar would if his jealousy does not extend to the babe also.

Oh, he already  had two names ready for the babe in her belly. She didn't like them. She feared that like them, her babe would one day marry a sibling and birth more madness.  Madness that had began to influence her brother even now.

She did not think him mad like her father, but there was a thimble full or more filled with a good dose of the madness that plagued her family.

Her brother, Viserys, already had started showing some of her father's tendencies. Her mother seemingly looked past that. It bothered her.

The weeks following Odaviing's appearance went by slow and  full of arguments behind closed doors. 

Rhaegar was angry. He wanted her to help him hatch an egg and he wanted to know how to awaken his dovah sil each and every day they were together.

He also spent most of his days in the archives, searching through scrolls and whatnot, while occasionally muttering to himself.

She was certain that he might explode with the tension that seemed to grow between them.

One night it did. Only, not in the way she thought. He took her harshly in their shared bed with so much fury that she was sore for days after it.

She spent her days avoiding him after that as much as she could without it seeming obvious to the nosy human beings that had followed them to Dragonstone.

She spent her days in the gardens, or walking on the beach with Susanna Tully, the girl having become a sort of friend, though she still didn't trust her.

The dragons themselves did not visit again and some people, like Jon Connington, began to believe that they were just a figment of everyone's imagination; something Prince Oberyn took much pleasure  in  ridiculing the red haired lord whenever he spoke about it.

The dragons had been real. As real as Caelyra herself, and yet, with time, she too began to doubt that they even existed until one they her doubts were vanished by a large dragon's visit.

One she thought  she would never see again. One that had once been trapped in a horrible place called the Soul Cairn, with green and grey scales constantly falling, mouth drooling yellow substance that made her want to gag.

This one was whole, though. Its  scales attached and its large maw clean from drool. It made her wonder about him, about how he must've been freed from the Ideal Masters.

"Drem yol lok,  Qahnaarin," the dragon greeted her on the beach where there were a large picnic being held for the bored nobles on that day.

She had sat alone on a blanket, not really hungry for food nor needing the company of the oh so unwilling nobles when the dragon landed on a clear strip of the beach and she had instantly gone to him without care for her own safety. And most of the others on the beach had followed; especially her brother-husband.