12. Bliss

As the days unfolded, the group continued exploring the picturesque landscapes of Hokkaido. Amidst their adventures, Hyoma seized the opportunity to take Ohara on their first date, a visit to a traditional restaurant in the area. They strolled hand in hand, engrossed in conversation about their post-graduation plans.

"I've set my sights on Oxford, Hyoma," Ohara shared, their steps echoing against the pavement as they departed the restaurant after a delightful lunch. "How about you?"

"I'm planning to pursue soccer," he replied with a smile. "What field are you aiming for at Oxford?"

"Fashion designing," she beamed. "My mum was a fashion designer, but she quit after my brother was born. Watching her create beautiful designs inspired me to follow in her footsteps."

Her expression briefly faltered before she gazed skyward. "I hope she and Aki are watching over me, knowing how much I miss them."

Hyoma's gaze softened. He stopped, turning her towards him, their eyes meeting. He gently cupped her face, his pinkish eyes locked with her dark brown irises.

"I'm certain they're proud of your journey, darling," he reassured her. "You've overcome so much. Here you are, standing tall, brightening everyone's lives around you, making your boyfriend a better version of himself."

Ohara chuckled softly at his last statement, tilting her head. "Do you think so?"

"You have no idea, Ohara," he said tenderly, planting a kiss on her forehead. "And I hope our different paths won't affect us."

"Actually, do you think I'd ever let you go?" Ohara playfully pinched his cheeks. "From me? Never."

With a gentle tiptoe, Ohara adjusted her height to match Hyoma's, pressing her lips against his. Their kiss was an effortless sync, his arms wrapping around her waist. They didn't mind being in the midst of a bustling street; Hyoma was mesmerized by her beauty and kindness. He couldn't decipher all the emotions swirling within him. He hadn't anticipated his first relationship to be this perfect, and though he knew he wasn't her first, he wished to be her last. Everything felt like it was moving swiftly, but he remained patient. Hyoma desired to give Ohara time, to adjust to their newfound relationship. He didn't want to rush things, aiming to savor every moment with her, imagining conversations about these precious moments when they'd grow old together. The thought of growing old with her made his heart race, although they were still just seventeen.

Eventually, they broke the kiss to catch their breath, but Ohara quickly wrapped her arms around his, resting her head on his chest, tuning into the rhythm of his heartbeat that mirrored her own. Hyoma embraced her tenderly, his chin resting on her head. "What's wrong, darling?"

"Nothing, just needed a hug," Ohara smiled, tightening her embrace. "I've needed this for a long time. I'm glad you're here to give it."

"But didn't Sae offer the same that night?" Hyoma teased, prompting Ohara to groan playfully as she tried to swat his chest.

"It's about the feeling when you hug someone, you idiot," she retorted, causing her boyfriend to laugh at her mock annoyance.

"So, what kind of feelings are you talking about?" Hyoma pretended not to know, teasing Ohara gently as her face flushed, seeking solace in his chest. "Ohara?"

"I don't know. Can we just stay like this?" Her innocent plea made Hyoma smile as he placed a gentle kiss on her head.

"In the streets?"

"Mhm, I don't care." Ohara's whimsical tone brought a smile to Hyoma's lips as he complied with his girlfriend's simple request. They lingered together for a few moments before heading out for shopping. The group had planned to celebrate Ōmisoka outdoors, dressed in traditional costumes.