08: Sleepover

"Hey, hey, listen up," Bachira announced to his friends gathered in the soccer club room. "Since there are new members in our group, I want to explain this tradition to everyone."

He held up a jar containing several paper chits inside it. Everyone except Gagamaru and Raichi seemed to be aware of this event. Every November, they randomly selected names to determine who would give a gift to whom.

"Alright, Gagamaru, Raichi," Bachira began. "This jar contains our names. Everyone will pick a chit, and the name you draw is the person you'll be gifting."

"Why should I give a gift to others?" Raichi grumbled in his usual irritable tone. "I want someone to gift me."

"Well, Stupid Shark Teeth," Ohara lightly tapped the back of his head as he sat on the floor in front of her. Leaning down from her bench, she met his fiery gaze. "You choose a name and give them a gift. If someone gets your name, they'll give you a gift."

Raichi felt embarrassed for his sudden outburst without understanding Bachira's explanation first. Realizing that everyone's name would be in the jar, he hurriedly stood up and approached Bachira.

"If someone's gifting me, make sure it's as sexy as me," he joked, pointing his thumb at himself. "I'm going first."

"Don't reveal the name you picked," Barou reminded him, raising an eyebrow, knowing Raichi was impatient and a bit annoying.

Raichi eagerly opened the chit and looked back at the group. "Well, I never expected this, but..." He pointed his finger at the crowd. "...make sure my gift is sexy."

"If I get your name, I'll make sure it's the sexiest, Raichi," Isagi teased, but Raichi ignored the comment, settling back into his spot.

Next, Ohara took her turn. As she opened her chit, her eyes widened in surprise, confusing everyone since they knew her gifts were always the most thoughtful. However, in past years, only Isagi, Barou, and Nagi had been lucky enough to receive a gift from her.

Barou had received a tiny record player with small vinyl records of Hikaru Utada's music. Nagi got a cactus, with Ohara stating that Choki was lonely when Nagi was out, so this would keep Choki company. Nagi loved the idea and decided to name it Choka, making it Choki's girlfriend, eliciting laughter from everyone, although Nagi remained unfazed. Isagi received Yaktrax, perfect for his love of walking, ensuring he wouldn't skip his walks during the snowy season.

The group gathered, curious to discover who among them would be lucky enough to receive a gift from Ohara this year, given her reputation for perfect gift selection. Often sought for advice when picking presents, everyone knew she would never disclose the name she drew.

One by one, they approached the jar to pick names. Ohara, intrigued, wondered who would be gifting her this time. Last year, she had received books and manga collections, which she adored but hoped for something different this time. Bachira and Kunigami had given her books previously, but Reo, being affluent, had gifted her numerous manga collections, some of which she hadn't yet read.

After they finished, Hyoma and Ohara headed home, planning a sleepover at her place, an occasion eagerly anticipated by both. It was the first time Ohara had invited someone over for a sleepover, and for Hyoma, it was his inaugural invitation of this nature.

Upon arriving home, they found Ego settled comfortably on the couch in the hall, engrossed in soccer news on his tablet.

"We're home!" Ohara announced their arrival as she reached the hall with Hyoma. Ego acknowledged her with a nod and she turned to Hyoma. "Do you want to go first for a shower or...?"

"You can use my bathroom, missy." Ego said without taking his eyes off the screen.

"Perfect," Ohara smiled. "Let's catch up after your shower. You can keep your bag in my room. Pass it here."