the gift of the magi

merry christmas and happy holidays to all the rui fans out there 🩷

it's 10:32pm on christmas eve and i thought id quickly write a one shot based on one of my favorite christmas stories of all time. I truly love this story so much, it's beautiful to me.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。. .・。.・゜✭・.・✫゜・。.

summary: money has been tough for you and rui ever since the marriage, but the two of you have always made it work. the love between the two of you truly comes out this christmas season.

warnings: the og story of 'the gift of the magi' is mlw based but this is gender neutral, (y/n) is technically implied to have long hair but it's only part of the story and you can interpret it differently (i try to keep it vague), plus it's an au so everything is "cheaper" but in the time period it was a lot of money
(i don't even have long hair lmao)

prns: gender neutral (can be interpreted with any pronouns)

"merry christmas, i wrapped it up and sent it with a note saying "i love you", i meant it"
- last christmas by wham!

"you're here where you should be, snow is falling as the carolers sing. it just wasn't the same alone on christmas day"
- underneath the tree by kelly clarkson

"i'll be home for christmas, you can plan on me. please have snow and mistletoe and presents by the tree"
- i'll be home for christmas by micheal bublé

"im alright if you're alright, and im okay if you're okay"
- this december by ricky montgomery

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。. .・。.・゜✭・.・✫゜・。.

One dollar and eighty seven cents. That was all.

  You had put it aside, one cent and then another and then another, in your careful thinking of only buying of meat and other food. You counted it three times. One dollar and eighty-seven cents.

  You didn't have enough to get Rui anything of value to him and Christmas was tomorrow.

  All there was to do was fall on the bed and cry, so that's what you did. Tears streamed down your face in disbelief and disappointment in yourself.

  As you slowly calm down again, the house becomes quiet once more.

  The furnished rooms costed $8 a week, there is little more to say about it.

  In the hall below was a letter-box too small to hold a letter. There was an electric bell, but it could not make a sound. Also there was a
name beside the door: " Mr. Rui Kamishiro "

  When the name was placed there, Mr. Rui Kamishiro was being paid $30 a week. Now, when he was being paid only $20 a week, the name seemed too long and important.

  You finished crying and cleaned the marks of it from your face before standing by the window and looking out with no interest.

   Tomorrow would be Christmas Day, and you had only $1.87 with which to buy Rui a gift. You had put aside as much as you could for months, with this result.

  Twenty dollars a week is not much. Everything had cost more than you had expected. It always seemed to happened like that.

  Only $1.87 to buy a gift for Rui, your dear husband, Rui. You had many happy hours planning something grand for him. Something nearly good enough. Something almost worth the honor of being with him.