1

The monotonous hum of the engine accompanied Sarah and her mother Mia on the long drive to Rio de Janeiro. The highway wound through picturesque landscapes, but Sarah's gaze remained stubbornly fixed on the passing scenery.

"Mama, this is so unfair! I want to stay here. Why do we have to move?" protested Sarah, her expression defiant and determined. Her mother, Mia, sighed and tried to soothe the rising unrest.

"Sarah, it's important for us. The job in Rio de Janeiro opens up new opportunities. You'll make new friends and adapt, I promise."

Sarah leaned back, her gaze still fixed out the window. The idea of leaving her hometown stirred a mix of anger and uncertainty within her. The landscape blurred before her eyes, and she couldn't shake the feeling of abandonment.

As the sun slowly dipped toward the horizon, they reached the borders of Rio de Janeiro. The pulsating energy of the city was undeniable, but Sarah remained steadfast in her resistance to change.

Mia tried once again to convince her daughter. "Sarah, think about all the new things we'll experience here. It'll be exciting, and you'll get used to it."

But Sarah remained silent and obstinate. The city lights reflected in her eyes as the allure of the unknown failed to sway her. She carried the uncertainty like an invisible burden on her shoulders.

The city lights of Rio de Janeiro bathed the streets in warm hues as they entered the bustling metropolis. Sarah, enveloped in stubbornness, sensed that this was not only the beginning of a new journey but also a challenge she had to face with her unyielding spirit.

As Sarah and her mother Mia arrived at their new house, a sense of unease clung to Sarah's every step. The unfamiliar walls echoed with the emptiness of a home not yet made their own. Mia, determined to ease the transition, ushered Sarah to the front porch.

The house, a quaint two-story structure with a white picket fence, stood in the soft glow of the evening. The windows, though slightly dusty, hinted at the potential warmth within. Sarah hesitated, absorbing the new surroundings, her fingers tracing the edges of a potted plant beside the door.

As Mia went to retrieve the keys from the car, a sudden realization struck her. She furrowed her brow and muttered to herself, "The keys... I left them at Maria's place." Panic set in as she rushed back to the car, leaving Sarah standing on the porch, a stranger in her own new home.

Feeling abandoned in the fading light, Sarah decided to explore the exterior. The porch offered a glimpse of coziness with its weathered rocking chair and a welcome mat that seemed to have weathered many seasons. As she peered through the windows, she could see the shadows of rooms waiting to be filled with life.

Just as she began to inspect the surroundings, the front door creaked open. Anisa, a black girl with long braids, green eyes, sweet make up, and a striking beauty, stood before her. Anisa wore a vibrant sundress that complemented her radiant personality.

"Hi, I'm Sarah. We just moved in," Sarah introduced herself tentatively.

Anisa's eyes twinkled with friendliness. "Hey, I'm Anisa. I live next door. Welcome to the neighborhood! Sorry for the unexpected encounter; I was just leaving a note for the previous owners. How are you finding the place?"

Sarah, relieved by Anisa's welcoming demeanor, engaged in a conversation that unexpectedly eased her initial discomfort. Little did she know, this chance encounter on the porch with Anisa would be the beginning of a connection that could turn her new house into a home.

As Anisa and Sarah chatted on the porch, their conversation meandered through various topics, from the quirks of the neighborhood to favorite hobbies. Anisa, with her animated storytelling, began sharing tales of her experiences at the local school.