3|death by trident

Start from the beginning

There was a female victor of District 12, but no one seemed to remember her or her name. She disappeared, and that means that Opal is alone with no mentor.

Pearl began to think of a possible alliance between her and Opal. It's good to have someone that you trust in the arena.

"I think we'd make good allies," Pearl suggested with a slight smirk.

Opal leaned forward. "I'm in."

DAY THREE OF TRAINING (FINAL DAY)

Day three of training is the day Pearl is going to truly show off her skill. Later on, they have to show the Gamemakers their talent, and there is no way Pearl can perform perfectly without practicing first.

Mags suggested not revealing all of their talents, but it can't hurt to show the Careers that they're not the only ones with chances in the arena.

They've been staring her and Opal down, and Pearl wants to wipe the smirk off Hunter's face with her bare hands.

She confidently walked into the training room, and her eyes lit up when she spotted the trident she had been eyeing ever since they began to train.

She had learned all of the Careers' names by now. There's Hunter, Bree, Apollo, Dane, and Faye. All of them are from Districts 1 and 2 except for Hunter.

"Where are you headed?" Opal asked. She was awfully cheerful for someone who was being sent to their death soon.

"Towards the tridents. That's what I'm really good with."

Opal nodded and Pearl's hands clasped around the shining silver trident. She moved with it naturally.

There was a whooshing sound through the air as she swiftly swung it back and forth aggressively as if she was in a fight with a real opponent.

The Careers were watching more intensely now, and Pearl threw the trident across the room and it landed directly on the far away target that went even meant for trident practice.

Her hair was messy and she was sweating. Pearl looked at them breathlessly and then she saw Apollo walking in her direction.

Apollo corned her and it was silent, as if they were trying to figure out who was going to talk first.

"You have skill, District 4."

Pearl brushed strands of hair out of her face. "You're not too bad yourself, District 2."

Pearl didn't like the Careers one bit, but it was easy to play into their games. She could gain their favor and then betray them any time she wanted. It's so easy.

Apollo was extremely tall, and he stood with confidence and judgement. "Would you like to join the Career alliance?"

Pearl looked at Opal who was pleading not to with her eyes. She would explain her plan to Opal later.

"Sure," Pearl responded with a fake smile. "What do I have to loose?"

She followed Apollo towards the other Career tributes as she twisted her trident in her hands. Hunter looked irritated at her presence.