Chapter 81 - The Sacrifice

Start from the beginning

I looked up from my plate.

- Who ?

Katsuki rolled his eyes.

- He asked why we hadn't seen you and where you'd been.

My fork froze in front of my half-open mouth as I looked at the blonde with fear.

- You didn't tell him where I was training, did you?

- Nah, his mom did it for me.

- Great.

I dove back into my plate, finishing the juicy meat in a few bites, followed by the crunchy vegetables.

I set my plate down on the tree trunk, satisfied, before pulling up my mask.

Katsuki was half turned, looking up at the starry sky and the glittering sea below.

- I'm done (He turned to faceme for the first time since I started eating) How's your training going?

His face lit up.

- I managed to make an explosion out of my foot today.

I whistled in admiration. The Katsuki of the cannon had never done anything like that.

- I'm still a long way from being able to make explosions from anywhere on my body, but I'm getting there. (I nodded). How about you?

- I'm thinking of changing my hero name to Poseidon

He raised his eyebrows.

- Really ?

- No, but it's coming along nicely.

A comfortable silence fell.

The wind picked up, rustling leaves and swirling sand. The last rays of sunlight illuminated the horizon for a short while.

- ... I feel funny

Katsuki grabbed a twig and started to break it into small pieces.

- I never paid much attention to these damned extras and now I find myself spying on them all and I can't help it.

He twirled two pieces of the twig still connected by a bit of wood fiber.

- I can't sleep at night, and when I eat with them, I can't help but wonder who's going to screw us. (The branch broke in two: he threw it away.) If I had a damned idea how to avoid Aizawa's cameras like you do, I wouldn't set foot in the dormitory again.

I watched him for a few seconds before looking away.

- Wouldn't it be easier to consider them all traitors?

He sniffed loudly: I heard the smile in his voice.

- Yeah, you're right, becoming a paranoid bastard is such a better idea,

I shrugged.

- You wouldn't have to worry about anyone if you didn't trust anyone...

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Katsuki watching me.

- Is this how you live your life? Seeing everyone as your enemy?

I remained silent, but my lack of an answer spoke for itself.

- Why ?

- Why what?

- Why do you wear a mask, why is there no information about you when someone searches for you on the Internet, why do you have a license to carry bladed weapons - there are so many things about you that make me ask 'why'?

A small smile crept on my lips.

- Aizawa barely mentioned the bladed weapon thing: I'm surprised you remembered.